The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pilgrimage to Santiago di Compostella
Yes.
I'm looking at a route that will take us over the Pic d'Orhy which tops out at 2070 metres. It seems a quieter road from Oloron Sainte Marie and crosses the border between Larrau and Ochagavia. Theres another route over from St-Jean Pied de Port, which probably follows the Camino a bit closer but it looks like a busier and more popular route, and as Ruiraidh knows, I like a challenge. Found some pics of the road over the top here. Doesn't look too daunting. http://randonnees-pyrenees-64.fr/pic-dor...ys-basque/ Bigger hills than that round here.

I have a German friend down here who did the Camino on foot a few years ago and I'll ask him for some info on the actual route taken. I think once you're over the Pyrennées then it's fairly flat all the way.
SWMBO and I finished walking the Camino in 2016. (We started in 2012 and got just past Pamplona before we had to quit because of injured feet.) we tended to stay at hostels booked through booking.com very reasonable and super clean. Often single beds and shared bath but that was fine.

We met a father/daughter walking team - the father had injured his feet and needed a ride. One of the guests in the albergue (sleeping 12 to a room) offered a ride and pulled up in a Lambo! He was on his way to a wedding and needed a place to sleep.

You are correct about the pyranees being the highest but there are a couple other 'high spots' too worth seeing
Well it's a while since I got back from the "Big Trip" and I'm starting to get an itchy right foot again. Problem is, what to do and where to go?
The car has been up all the big hills around here, including the Col de la Bonnette in the Alps so have you any ideas about my next challenge?

An article was printed in our village magazine recently, for those of you that are either francophile or experts at google translate:

(hopefully someone can rotate the image 90° because I can't figure out how...)

[Image: 20200205-164348.jpg]
Marseille - Algiers? Shy
Voila!

Thanks, Nic!

Chris - I have thought of doing Corsica rather than Morocco or Algeria. I might even manage to persuade the Mem'Sahib to ride shotgun providing the weather's not too hot. I can get to Toulon in the day from here for the ferry.
Stelvio Pass.
I did the Stelvio a few years ago in the MGF. If I'm honest I found it a bit of a disappointment because even at the end of September there were just too many cyclists, and if I had to take 2nd in the RP for one of the hairpins it would be a long slow slog to the top as I doubt I'd be able to get back up into 3rd. A circumnavigation of Lake Geneva might be a do-er, certainly pretty anyway. Or Annecy.
The journey to it from Glasgow and back in the Pearl was epic, one of my favourites!