The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Old Garage Pictures
(16-09-2018, 12:17 AM)squeak Wrote:
(15-09-2018, 07:36 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Hi R,

Here's one for you.

Not quite so rustic though.

Tony.

(Can you tell were it is yet).

I guess at Melbourne Australia. 
 Beaurepaire was a  town councillor and tyre merchant. My grandmother told me as a girl she rejected his advances.  The telephone  prefix on the verandah sign is 03 
cheers  Russell

Cleverly spotted Russell - seems that this is in Sale, Gippsland, Country Victoria.

Cheers, Tony.
Brits might note the verandah over the footpath, an Australasian custom. i guess in the UK the servants did the shopping and too bad if they got wet, although continued today. Without does make for better street scene. Most verandahs are now supended so carelss parkers do not bring them down. There were some charming village style petrol stations here with neatly integrated roofs but seem to totally escape the attention of conservationists and now gone.
Many Brits will remember that many towns also had colonnaded high streets with fine cast iron pillars and glass tops. Yes we were (and still are) a class-ridden nation but perhaps not quite in the manner that Bob suggests! Ladies out promenading did not want to get their finery wet...
Another one for those in the Southern Hemisphere.

You should know we're it is.

If not I'll give a big hint on pic 3.

[attachment=3900]

[attachment=3901]
This little village garage is just a mile or so from home; sadly all the petrol pumps have gone:

.jpg   P1050967.800.jpg (Size: 160.58 KB / Downloads: 377)

I took the photo last winter, when the property was up for sale - I could see it disappearing, but is still there as a second-hand car sales pitch.
There's a great thread on this topic on the PistonHeads website, 42 pages! If you Google 'The Humer Unbeam Interesting Filling Stations Thread' it should come up (the title is taken from the first picture of a disused showroom with the B and the S missing).
Here it is -

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi...493362&i=0
Hi Bob

Whilst we still love out servants, with respect to having verandas in the antipodean countries, my understanding was that verandas over walkways were a result of the majority of inhabitants being of the criminal classes, or their descendants, and so you all felt more comfortable with some cover around, rather than being out in the open where you could be spotted by the rozzers Wink
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Ooh, rozzers, I haven't heard that word used for many a long year.
(16-09-2018, 03:59 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: Another one for those in the Southern Hemisphere.

You should know we're it is.

If not I'll give a big hint on pic 3.

Tis Beechworth in Victoria Tony, credit goes to Mr Google. 
Many many years ago I was hitchiking  from Queensland to Melbourne following a lead on some Dodge wire wheels. The trail led to a remote location north of Beechworth and I was on foot on a dusty dirt road, midday and 38C degrees and no traffic.  From the opposite direction came a yellow RACV EJ holden panelvan as in your picture Tony. He pulled up, reached beside himself , and through the window handed me an icy cold can of coke "you look like you need a drink". 
I was still walking some hours later when the good samaritan  returned in a cloud of dust and picked me up! 
I did find those wire wheels and had to wait for an occasion when I was passing through in my car to pick them up.