The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Side Curtains ....fixings
(05-09-2018, 10:45 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Most likely something like this, I think...

That seems vaguely familiar?!
I am sure it does Nick  Big Grin

Some photos of one not owned by Nick,  Angel

For the rubber "washer" (actually more of a packing piece), I have used replacement Dinky Toys tyres to good effect.  Glue them into the original washer then rub the protruding side of the tyre on flat sandpaper until you have just 1mm or so  left protruding.

(07-09-2018, 10:54 AM)Mick Hobday Wrote: For the rubber "washer" (actually more of a packing piece), I have used replacement Dinky Toys tyres to good effect.  Glue them into the original washer then rub the protruding side of the tyre on flat sandpaper until you have just 1mm or so  left protruding.

You need the smooth black (obviously) 17mm tyres made for the small lorries.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-30-x17mm-...SwMmBVinjA
These may be a close match.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produc...olled-edge

Out of interest how are the side curtains held on the early cars, or was it just gravity, on the photos I have looked at there does not appear to be any fixings.
Very helpful Thanks to all.
Looks like a 5/8" rsd csk screw or possibly 3/4 When I get to that stage I can experiment & see which actually bears on the peg.
David
(07-09-2018, 08:29 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote: These may be a close match.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produc...olled-edge

Out of interest how are the side curtains held on the early cars, or was it just gravity, on the photos I have looked at there does not appear to be any fixings.

On my 1928 Australian bodied Chummy just gravity Smile
(07-09-2018, 06:50 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I am sure it does Nick  Big Grin

Some photos of one not owned by Nick,  Angel

Without any claim to them being original, the screws and cup washers on my '29 AD Chummy are very similar to Ruairidh's photos except, my "cup washers" are solid brass with an ID of about 6mm and an OD of 20mm. the screws have slightly deformed end threads from pressing against the side screen pegs which prevents them from falling out when loose (also from being easily removed from the bracket!)
(07-09-2018, 10:25 PM)David.H Wrote: Very helpful Thanks to all.
Looks like a 5/8" rsd csk screw or possibly 3/4 When I get to that stage I can experiment & see which actually bears on the peg.
David

WOW....that size would hold the side curtains onto the space shuttle for take off and landing!!!   Big Grin

The ones Ruairidh shows are RAISED COUNTERSUNK (oval & instrument) 3/16" (ish).  Length 5/8" and with a 32 tpi (threads per inch) which would equate to a BSF. 

For the rubber washer inside....possibility is.....that black silicone (or similar) squeeze-out-of-the-tube stuff.  Grease screw, put screw into washer and fill with the silicone.  Put a bit of clingfilm on upholstery with hole over hole and screw the screw into retainer till a bit short of fully in against peg and wipe of surplus that has squashed out.  Allow to fully set and there you have a perfect fit rubber washer.  The grease should prevent the silicone from sticking to the screw so it can be twisted.
My Nippy screens have pegs that fit into the top of the door.  There are brass tubes with a head that sits on the door top with the tube going into the wood of the door frame.......nothing to hold them in place.......they don't fall out even at 80+mph.......the tops just flap outwards but a bit of string looped round the windscreen butterfly bolts controls that.

Dennis  Wink
(10-09-2018, 06:14 PM)Dennis Nicholas Wrote:
(07-09-2018, 10:25 PM)David.H Wrote: Very helpful Thanks to all.
David

WOW....that size would hold the side curtains onto the space shuttle for take off and landing!!!   Big Grin

The ones Ruairidh shows are RAISED COUNTERSUNK (oval & instrument) 3/16" (ish).  Length 5/8" and with a 32 tpi (threads per inch) which would equate to a BSF. 

For the rubber washer inside....possibility is.....that black silicone (or similar) squeeze-out-of-the-tube stuff.  Grease screw, put screw into washer and fill with the silicone.  Put a bit of clingfilm on upholstery with hole over hole and screw the screw into retainer till a bit short of fully in against peg and wipe of surplus that has squashed out.  Allow to fully set and there you have a perfect fit rubber washer.  The grease should prevent the silicone from sticking to the screw so it can be twisted.
My Nippy screens have pegs that fit into the top of the door.  There are brass tubes with a head that sits on the door top with the tube going into the wood of the door frame.......nothing to hold them in place.......they don't fall out even at 80+mph.......the tops just flap outwards but a bit of string looped round the windscreen butterfly bolts controls that.

Dennis  Wink
I did in fact say in my original post that the thread is 1/4BSF.....I have located some & will modify them so they don't fall out.
David