The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
electronic distributors - any further feedback?
(11-09-2017, 06:58 PM)Alastair Wrote: I said I'd update when I heard back from Accuspark following my new distributor's tendency to self-retard. I didn't hear a thing from them until this morning when a replacement distributor arrived. Its now fitted and running well.
I took the opportunity to investigate the oiler - the thread tapped in the new bodies is M6 but there was enough meat there to re-tap it to 1/4 Whitworth which seems to be what Mr Lucas originally used. As a result I now have an original oiler (Loctited just to make sure)!
I did notice that as supplied, the oiler hole was full of swarf from where it had been tapped originally...

Alastair

Alastair,

All the original Lucas Distributor's seem to be fitted with the bent tube with flip top oiler. The one you have used is the rear axle brake cam oiler isn't it ?

Tony.
I disagree Tony I am afraid, some Lucas distributors have the oiler shown, the rear axle one is much larger.
Black Art Enthusiast
That looks very neat and authentic Alastair - I have been considering the very same mod, which will work with the angled tube-type as well.

A friend made me this very neat solution with the correct M6 thread.

I need to find some time to fix a timing marks plate and paint the body black on mine - which should make the disguise complete!
Tony - all my spare Dk4A bodies have straight oilers, although I have seen bent ones! Does anyone know which type were fitted to which distributors?
Ruairidh - I'll be dealing with the plate and colour next time I remove it from the car. I would have done it yesterday before I fitted it but was too keen to get it up and running again (which means it'll probably stay as it is for a while yet..). I like your mod - I could have pinched a lidded cop off my old lathe.
Having re-fitted the electronic unit after a week or so running on the old one has reminded me of just how much of a difference it makes.

Alastair
(12-09-2017, 01:22 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: I disagree Tony I am afraid, some Lucas distributors have the oiler shown, the rear axle one is much larger.

I bow to superior knowledge- I only have three DK4A's plus a couple of pictures and all have the bent tube oiler.

Cheers, Tony.
I think I'm in danger of becoming an A7 anorak, but to answer my question above, about which models the bent oiler was fitted to, it first appears in the 1937 parts book.

Alastair
(12-09-2017, 12:50 PM)Alastair Wrote: I think I'm in danger of becoming an A7 anorak, but to answer my question above, about which models the bent oiler was fitted to, it first appears in the 1937 parts book.

Alastair

Not sure that dates it - all the earlier Spare Parts lists appear to show the original CAV Lucas DS 4.

Cheers, Tony.
(12-09-2017, 10:26 AM)Alastair Wrote: Does anyone know which type were fitted to which distributors?

Hi Alastair,

both types (the one you show and the bent pipe with flip-top) are sufficiently common to suggest both were used on the same model of distributor by Lucas.

Having used both examples I cannot decide if one is an improvement over the other so would not like to guess which came first - a decent Lucas catalogue of the time would perhaps be the best source. I find A7 parts lists are notoriously bad for research - if you chose to look further than the early claw propshaft and four spoked steering wheels shown, you would find more.
(05-09-2017, 04:19 PM)JonE Wrote: From Tony at Stealth Ignitions today...

"Regarding the oiler , after feedback we have now decided to have this made and supply with new units. You may inform other members that if they purchased a distributor without this item from us, if they supply there purchase details we will send this upgrade out free of charge"

That's pretty good service.

Note, Gary, there is a £1.50 upgrade for the red rotor arm which doesn't have a rivet. Hardly worth not getting?

Jon
Where do I contact Stealth Ignitions, please? They did not appear on my web search. Presumably they are the company which makes the stuff sold by Accuspark.

Robert
Stealth and Accuspark are one and the same Robert.