The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Spring packing
I be interested to know what material has been used for front spring packing in the past and what length and thickness to make it. What was originally used in the factory?
As far as I have been able to ascertain over the years front spring packing seems to serve no purpose at all other than to give you a tiny increase in ground clearance.
The bit of packing I have (somewhere) is about 3/16” red fibre. It came off my RN saloon. The road springs no longer have packing.
Cheers,
Dave.
Scarlet,

You may find Ian's wisdom a comfort when you discover nobody stocks it anyway. (Actually if you do find some please let me know 'cos I need a bit of vulcanised red fibre board for something else). I did in the past substitute copper or brass sheet without detriment.

btw the old packing I have was more like 1/16" than 3/16", though heaven knows what's 'correct'.
If you really want to The Seven Workshop used to stock red fibre spring packing.
Ive never distmantled a car with any. A piece of asbestos jointing would do a similar job to the fibre sheet
I used the red packing for my rear springs (from Seven workshop) to ensure a tight fit in the chassis members. I didn't include any on the front, partly because there was none in there on the spring I removed and also because I was concerned that it reduced the purchase of the centre spring locating pin.
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I think I got one from our local (NZ) spares a while back but then didn't use it on the spring, instead I cut it into strips and made a fuel stick for the Chummy I had for a while!

Simon
(02-09-2018, 09:19 PM)jansens Wrote: I think I got one from our local (NZ) spares a while back but then didn't use it on the spring, instead I cut it into strips and made a fuel stick for the Chummy I had for a while!

Simon

That's what I wanted it for!
(02-09-2018, 08:08 PM)Ian Dunford Wrote: If you really want to The Seven Workshop used to stock red fibre spring packing.

Welcome back Ian- if I remember you had some difficulties in 'logging on'

Tony.