The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What to pay for an Ulster replica

.jpg   austin.jpg (Size: 92.07 KB / Downloads: 715) [attachment=3671][attachment=3671][attachment=3671][attachment=3671][attachment=3671][attachment=3671]Hi there.

Im thinking about buying an Austin Seven, but i have absolute no experience with these cars so i kindly ask for your advices. I have been offered an "Ulster" replica. According to owner its a 1927 with full alloy body. Owner do not know when car received the alloy body but its +40 ago, and body work looks to be carried out by a pro (nice fit etc). According to owner Its a later 3 mainbearing 13 hp standard engine. Car is in very good condition with good paintjob, no corrosion and works/drive well. So far i have only receved 1 picture (he will send more). What is a fair price to pay for such an ulster replica, asumed the car is in great condition?

Br Per
How long is a piece of string. This isn't an Ulster replica. Its an Ulster style special and I strongly suspect it's 1937 and not 1927 as the chassis looks to me to be a LWB with Ruby wheels. The bonnet and scuttle are elongated to allow for the longer chassis.

One question I would ask is have you seen the registration document, and what's the provenance of the car, for example what is it based on, who built it and when. 

Get someone who knows Austin Sevens to look at and assess the car.

Many A7 specials that come on the market are ridiculously overpriced, particularly those on the continent.

Caveat emptor.
Find out from the registration document what the chassis number is as that'll confirm what year the chassis left the factory.
As Reckless says, caveat emptor. I bought my Ulster Rep two years ago after a year of looking. I paid 20,000 pounds for it, and have put more into it(which I won't get back) to get it closer to a real Ulster. On your car, there is good shine and likely new paint, which can hide a multitude of sins. A pig in a dress is still just a pig. I would suggest, as Reckless does, that you have someone familiar with Sevens to have a look. It would be helpful if that person would also know Ulsters and Ulster Reps. It would be helpful to know how close a replica you want. From the photo, I can a number of things, besides looking like a lwb chassis. First off, the wheels look like 17 inches with oc hubs. Ulsters came with closed center hubs and 19" wheels. Headlamps should be painted, not chromed. No side lights on wings. The exhaust should come through an opening on the NS then the expansion box should be at the side panel. Of course a genuine Ulster would originally have had touring wings, not cycle type. The NS side panel should have the hole for the exhaust and no louvers. Rubber cockpit surround shouldn't be all the way around, just for armrests. The seat back is wrong, it should have 13 ribs and go right up to the body at the rear. Original cars had an alloy body with steel floors riveted to it. Radiator shell would be chrome, not silver painted. It does look like a LWB car. I would suggest you start by looking at photos on the web of genuine cars and perhaps purchasing Chris Gould's book on reproducing Ulsters. That of course is, if you want a good replica Ulster. If you would be happy with a special, as this car obviously is, that is another matter.

Erich in Seattle
Proceed with extreme caution and, as has already been suggested, get someone with detailed knowledge of Austin Sevens to look at it.

"Ulster Replica" can mean anything from a faithful reproduction based on correct, period mechanical parts with all the right modifications, down to an unmodified late Ruby chassis with an indifferent Ulster-ish body.  Prices can be in the £20k to £30k range for a really good one, £4k or £5k for a poor one, even in good cosmetic condition. 

How much is being asked for this one?
Ok, thanks for input. I was maybe not quite clear in what im looking for. I know its not an Ulster and it never will be. Im not looking to buy an Ulster (way to expensive), I just like the look of Seven with this body type.
According to owner the paint is 30 years old but almost spotless, and no dents and no repair on body has been done. Car has been stored on a museum for 15 years. I do not know any with knowledge about Sevens (there is not that many in Denmark), but having rebuild two Jag e-types im experienced with classic cars in general. I will receive chassis number and more pictures in a few days. I believe asking price will be around 10k £.
So my question is, what is estimated value of an "Ulter like replica" like this car, assumed the car is running and in good condition, including body and paintwork?
Do you know whether this car was sold at auction in the UK in March 2016?
(31-08-2018, 06:34 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: Do you know whether this car was sold at auction in the UK in March 2016?

It was not. Seller have had the car for +35 years, last 10-15 years stored on a mechanical museum.
(31-08-2018, 06:27 PM)Lemser Wrote: Ok, thanks for input. I was maybe not quite clear in what im looking for. I know its not an Ulster and it never will be. Im not looking to buy an Ulster (way to expensive), I just like the look of Seven with this body type.
According to owner the paint is 30 years old but almost spotless, and no dents and no repair on body has been done. Car has been stored on a museum for 15 years. I do not know any with knowledge about Sevens (there is not that many in Denmark), but having rebuild two Jag e-types im experienced with classic cars in general. I will receive chassis number and more pictures in a few days. I believe asking price will be around 10k £.
So my question is, what is estimated value of an "Ulter like replica" like this car, assumed the car is running and in good condition, including body and paintwork?

If it's a genuine 1927 chassis it will be worth a lot more than a later chassis pretending to be a vintage one.  Details of the mechanical specifications are vital, too.  Hence importance of getting it looked at by an expert.
Does it have a Danish registration number and corresponding paperwork? If it hasn't then trying to register a special over there might be an administrative nightmare because of the non originality of the vehicle. If that's the case then at worst it will be a very good bargaining point when haggling about a price. Some more pics would help, interior, under bonnet, front view, rear view etc. Engine and chassis numbers too. The car may be on the A7 clubs association register. I think £10K from what I've seen already is asking a lot, but lets keep an open mind until we get more information.