The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinion shaft diameter
(16-09-2018, 08:40 PM)Roger Wrote: I recently fitted a new pinion ball race which does not enter the diff housing to the same depth as the original. The amount of shims required now to fill the gap under the A/C bearings holder is about 1.5mm.
The marking on the crown wheel teeth is good so why the difference?
The bearing is the same as the one removed, I even cleaned the seating for the bearing, nothing else is changed.
What is the expected amount of shims normally fitted.

Roger

Not sure what you mean here- if you didn't change anything else, fitting a new pinion ball bearing shouldn't alter the assembly. Did you use the original angular contact pair of bearings.

What do you mean  "The amount of shims required now to fill the gap under the A/C bearings holder is about 1.5mm."
This shouldn't change unless you altered something else ?

Tony.
Tony,

Sorry to mislead you, that was another one of my mistakes, I had put the a/c bearings in the wrong way round and was a bit slow to realise, hence the 1.5mm error.
I have only altered the Diff carrier for a better one, 0.005” run out against 0.020” on the original one, and a new pinion ball race, all other bearings looked little used.
I had expected an improvement but it was no better, which made me think the sound was perhaps originating from other parts of the car.
As you will see I am not an Experienced A7 owner although I have experience of other classic cars.

Roger