The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
engine won't rev
(21-08-2018, 04:36 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Graham could you indicate to us which distributor is fitted to your car, and whether or not the manual advance/retard connection is operating, or is locked off. Whilst you say you've checked the timing can you tell us what you've set it to, and how.

Hi, it's a Lucas distributor with manual advance retard which is working as it should, originally  timed it tdc full advance, and  then I tried doing it by ear which has worked for me on many other engine's. I have today stripped the carb again, it's now spotless and all the jets have been checked and are clear, also stripped the fuel pump and filters put more fresh fuel in.
Also tried with the cap of in case of a vacuum lock.

Regards
Graham

Ps the plugs appear to me to be indicating a rich mixture !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Suggest you follow Andy Bennett's advice form earlier in the thread. May give everyone trying to help some base line info to work from.
Give it a try and let us know.

Paul N-M
(21-08-2018, 05:45 PM)hibbo Wrote: Ps the plugs appear to me to be indicating a rich mixture !

Do you have a new set of plugs to try?
(21-08-2018, 06:03 PM)Paul N-M Wrote: Suggest you follow Andy Bennett's advice form earlier in the thread. May give everyone trying to help some base line info to work from.

Paul N-M

Yes I will go out later, I can't go until the nutty commuters have finished using the local roads as a racetrack, poor old Austin just can't compete with the BMWs
Regards
Graham
If you've timed it full advance at TDC then your engine is far too retarded. The points (static) should be just opening at roughly an inch and a quarter before top dead centre measured on the flywheel outer circumference. There is a mark 1, 4 on the flywheel visible from inside the car once youve taken the cover off. Set it static at 1 1/4" BTDC with the manual lever at its mid point. Run the car and advance until you can feel the crank rumble and then back it off a bit.
The plugs don't actually look that bad. Most A7s tend to run a bit rich on the Zenith, although a fresh set wont hurt.
(21-08-2018, 06:38 PM)hibbo Wrote:
(21-08-2018, 06:03 PM)Paul N-M Wrote: Suggest you follow Andy Bennett's advice form earlier in the thread. May give everyone trying to help some base line info to work from.

Paul N-M

Yes I will go out later, I can't go until the nutty commuters have finished using the local roads as a racetrack, poor old Austin just can't compete with the BMWs

Ok so I've been out and my speed perception is a bit out, this time I got the indicted speed up to 34, however on the GPS it was in fact 27, so the speeds on GPS were 1st gear 8, 2nd 15, 3rd 20, top 27, obviously the Speedo is useless in indicating 1st 18, 2nd 26, 3rd 30, 4th 34,  and it's now developed a pop/spitback through the carb, however a useful exercise I didn't expect the Speedo to be so far out.
But you can probably see now why I need to get a bit more speed, (be happy with 40 to 45.

Thank you all for your help so far.

(21-08-2018, 07:36 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: If you've timed it full advance at TDC then your engine is far too retarded. The points (static) should be just opening at roughly an inch and a quarter before top dead centre measured on the flywheel outer circumference. There is a mark 1, 4 on the flywheel visible from inside the car once youve taken the cover off.  Set it static at 1 1/4" BTDC with the manual lever at its mid point. Run the car and advance until you can feel the crank rumble and then back it off a bit.
The plugs don't actually look that bad. Most A7s tend to run a bit rich on the Zenith, although a fresh set wont hurt.

I must admit I've not been using the marks on the flywheel but when timing be ear I have been backing it when I feel/hear the crank starting to rumble.

Is there a modern plug that's recommended for the 7,
Regards
Graham
Ah, so now making a bit more sense. You aren't getting 30mph in second, it is actually 15 and showing a more expected percentage increase in speed per gear. But yes you should be able to get 40 plus (I get 45, but many get 50) especially given the compression etc and apparent engine condition you mentioned earlier.
I don't think you have mentioned the jet sizes you have?
It might be that you aren't actually far away and just need some final set up help with timing etc. checking coil integrity etc. Have you tried swapping out the coil?
Have you joined your local A7 club as a session with a seasoned owner might give you the tweaks needed to get that extra mph.
Plugs are NGK A6, Champion B16
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Graham, setting the timing on a Seven is an ongoing thing if youve got a manual advance dizzy. Set it to 1 1/4" BTDC on the flywheel and then take the car out on the road and play about with the adv/retard on the move. If you back the timing off so theres no rumble whatsoever then you'll get nowhere. You've got to do it by feel not ear. Ideally you need an experienced sevener to help you out.
(21-08-2018, 09:23 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Graham, setting the timing on a Seven is an ongoing thing if youve got a manual advance dizzy. Set it to 1 1/4" BTDC on the flywheel and then take the car out on the road and play about with the adv/retard on the move. If you back the timing off so theres no rumble whatsoever then you'll get nowhere. You've got to do it by feel not ear. Ideally you need an experienced sevener to help you out.

Thanks for the info, I will take your advice.

(21-08-2018, 09:11 PM)Andy Bennett Wrote: Ah, so now making a bit more sense. You aren't getting 30mph in second, it is actually 15 and showing a more expected percentage increase in speed per gear. But yes you should be able to get 40 plus (I get 45, but many get 50) especially given the compression etc and apparent engine condition you mentioned earlier.
I don't think you have mentioned the jet sizes you have?
It might be that you aren't actually far away and just need some final set up help with timing etc. checking coil integrity etc. Have you tried swapping out the coil?
Have you joined your local A7 club as a session with a seasoned owner might give you the tweaks needed to get that extra mph.
Plugs are NGK A6, Champion B16
Andy B
My local A7 club is not that local at 27mph I will swap the coil I have a 6v motorcycle coil, and check the jet sizes, should have done it today when a had the carb in bits again.
To be honest it did feel a little better tonight despite the popping/spitting  from the carb.
Regards
Graham
Reckers is right. What you do is this:
First, check manual advance does actually advance the timing (it wouldn’t be the first connected the wrong way round). Then on full retard, set the timing at TDC. It will start and run like that. Now, turn the distributor to retard the ignition until the engine nearly stops. This is just so you can do the next step of advancing the ignition until you get a definite increase in idle speed. Lock the distributor at that point and try it. You will probably need the lever set 2/3 of the way towards advance and all should be well. The thing is A7 engines rumble. If you don’t know what they sound like it’s difficult to set timing by ear.
Alan Fairless