The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
engine won't rev
(25-08-2018, 08:42 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Graham
I'm confused that you say there's no difference between advance and retarding the ignition. There should be. The column lever is connected to the distributor by a long metal bar that goes from the bottom of the steering column to the base plate below the distributor.
When you advance the ignition the distributor should move anticlockwise. If it isn't then perhaps the clamp that secures it to the distributor is loose and isn't doing its job. It is located by a pinchbolt. The adv/ ret plate under the distributor is located onto the dynamo body by a bolt with a spring washer. Check and update us.

Hi again. It all moves as it should, the rod moves the arm on the distributor and the distributor body, it has an affect when the car is stationary and ticking over fast or slow but seems to have no affect when being driven.

The thing I can't get my head around is why the choke makes such a difference when it's not running weak.
Regards
Graham
Perhaps you should go back to the basics again. Set the flywheel at 1 1/4" btdc, loosen the clamp bolt on the distributor and with the column lever set midway rotate the distributor until the points are just opening and retighten the clamp. It still sounds to me that your engine is still retarded
(25-08-2018, 09:16 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Perhaps you should go back to the basics again. Set the flywheel at 1 1/4" btdc, loosen the clamp bolt on the distributor and with the column lever set midway rotate the distributor until the points are just opening and retighten the clamp. It still sounds to me that your engine is still retarded

Yes I think you may be right, ilI' post again when it's done and tried.
Regards
Graham
Just a thought, Graham... some people have (and do) use a timing mark that they've made on the camshaft pulley with a corresponding mark on the cover. (It's easier to see rather than having to take the cover off the flywheel) However, the camshaft pulley does not fit on a keyway, it's on a taper so if it has ever been removed there is no guarantee that it has been put back in exactly the same place. Best to use the flywheel, and for belt and braces, a check through n°1 plug hole that the piston actually is at the top of its travel (and on the compression stroke).

As has been mentioned earlier a good starting point is to find top dead centre and then rotate the flywheel until the 1,4 marks are opposite the oil feed to the dashboard gauge.
Sounds like something is wrong with the ignition set up.   You should be able to make it rumble quite badly if over advanced.

If can't make it rumble.....it isn't over advanced, so the dizzy isn't in the right place.

Have you changed the condensor?

Where are you?   Southern England is a big place.

Simon
(26-08-2018, 12:09 PM)Slack Alice Wrote: Sounds like something is wrong with the ignition set up.   You should be able to make it rumble quite badly if over advanced.

If can't make it rumble.....it isn't over advanced, so the dizzy isn't in the right place.

Have you changed the condensor?

Where are you?   Southern England is a big place.

Simon

Hi Simon I'm in handcross west Sussex, I have fitted a new condenser and I can make it rumble, it sounds horrendous, I'm in the middle of retiming it yet again using the marks on the flywheel but rain has stopped play at the moment.
Regards
Graham
I do think it best to join your local A7 owners club and get someone to take a look, as it does sound like 'something silly' that wouldn't take a lot for an experienced A7 owner to tweak and help you with.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!