The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake cables
I am after an adjustable front brake cable for uncoupled brakes, is there one available that has a joiner/ tensioner section which has left/ right hand threads in it , that would make adjusting the brakes so easy.
It would also be helpful to have one adjustable cable to the rear.
I know I could get one made up , but thought I would see if anything readily available first.
Any help appreciated 
Best Wishes 
Gene
It would be great to see our cherished supplier's starting to get these made, they make setting the brakes up considerably easier particularly the rears.
Black Art Enthusiast
I've got one that I made for the front using a small steel balance bar and two adjustable rear cables.

Charles
If I were a cherished supplier I think I would have worries about the liability implications of selling brake system components which deviate from the original design. It's great until someone has a serious accident, whether or not it was caused by the component in question. That's not to say there aren't ways around this of course.
Try a Yacht Chandler who can make up stainless steel rigging.
Alan Fairless
Arn't cherished suppliers already doing that with the current adjustable cables?? as far as I am aware Austin did not supply cables with pinch bolt adjustment?
Black Art Enthusiast
Adjustable front and rear brake cables are available from the usual A7 suppliers for both uncoupled and coupled braking systems.

They are an excellent improvement on the original design.
(19-08-2018, 10:23 PM)RRuairidh Dunford Wrote: Adjustable front and rear brake cables are available from the usual A7 suppliers for both uncoupled and coupled braking systems.

They are an excellent improvement on the original design.

Hi Rorry , I am aware of them, but not easily adjustable, and I don't like that the method of retaining the cable has a shear effect on it.I know they have been around for years and not heard of any problems.
Also don't like cable adjusters that shortens the cable by kinking it.
I will see if Speedy cables can make up something to my liking.
Best Wishes and Thanks to all who replied, Gene
I am not saying there is anything wrong with the current adjustable cables, however fitting a turnbuckle greatly eases adjustment, once the pinch bolt has been tightened and kinked the cable future adjustment becomes difficult. I am also saying that there is no need for suppliers to have any greater worry about litigation over the current pinch bolt design which is not to original specification either.
Black Art Enthusiast