The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Radiator for 1931 Ulster Replica - Advice Please
I've got some scale drawings of the Nippy rad from Stewart Brown. I don't really want to post them on here as they have copyright stickers on them, but am sure he wont mind me sending on to someone who is trying to convert or check something. Send me an email address by pm...
(If you tune in here Stewart, let me know if I can upload them to Nippy archive if I take the personal details off! )
Hello Chris, 
   on my Ulster reproduction I used a RN type radiator with the neck at the front.
Mr Bryant of Tunbridge Wells removed the original neck and soldered an L shaped patch over the hole . Then he soldered a new neck in the correct position and recored it with a A type film to the correct height.
  If you have a new neck turned up to the correct shape then most competent radiator companies should be able to to do the job for you. 
  There is a company in Australia who still make the dimpled top tank if you choose to replace the existing one  
   Hope this is of help, 
                                        Robert
(18-08-2018, 07:30 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: Hello Chris, 
   on my Ulster reproduction I used a RN type radiator with the neck at the front.
Mr Bryant of Tunbridge Wells removed the original neck and soldered an L shaped patch over the hole . Then he soldered a new neck in the correct position and recored it with a A type film to the correct height.
  If you have a new neck turned up to the correct shape then most competent radiator companies should be able to to do the job for you. 
  There is a company in Australia who still make the dimpled top tank if you choose to replace the existing one  
   Hope this is of help, 
                                        Robert

Thanks for this info Rob.

Don't suppose you have the details of the company which makes the tank?
Here you are,  http://www.ftrs.com.au
(18-08-2018, 08:06 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: Here you are,  http://www.ftrs.com.au

Thanks Robert
be quick I think I may have had the second last one recently, they come blank with no hole or filler neck and the underside plate is separate with likewise no hole.  cheers  Russell
(19-08-2018, 12:02 AM)squeak Wrote: be quick I think I may have had the second last one recently, they come blank with no hole or filler neck and the underside plate is separate with likewise no hole.  cheers  Russell

Thanks Russell, I've sent an enquiry
Getting away from the tank, in past discussions on the radiator shell I, and I think others, said that the Ulster had the second type of mounting bracket.  This shell has the two bolts mounted through the front face.  By the time the 65 and Nippy appeared, they were mounted on a third type of bracket resulting in no bolt-holes in the front face.  But some time ago Ruairidh reminded me of the photo above and perhaps there were some Ulsters fitted with the third type - although my search through photos of standard cars as well as Ulsters only show the earlier mounting.  This plus the honey-comb core in the photo makes that Ulster curious - or was it correct & perhaps similar in others?   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
(21-08-2018, 01:03 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote: Getting away from the tank, in past discussions on the radiator shell I, and I think others, said that the Ulster had the second type of mounting bracket.  This shell has the two bolts mounted through the front face.  By the time the 65 and Nippy appeared, they were mounted on a third type of bracket resulting in no bolt-holes in the front face.  But some time ago Ruairidh reminded me of the photo above and perhaps there were some Ulsters fitted with the third type - although my search through photos of standard cars as well as Ulsters only show the earlier mounting.  This plus the honey-comb core in the photo makes that Ulster curious - or was it correct & perhaps similar in others?   Cheers,  Bill in Oz

It wouldn't be the first time a car provided for press test had deviated somewhat from standard production spec. Sometimes tweaks are made to ensure a positive review, sometimes the only car available is the office hack and it has to be hastily tidied up. I'm just saying that the Autocar Ulster might not be definitive. Unfortunately it is the best set of contemporary pics I'm aware of.
(21-08-2018, 01:03 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote: Getting away from the tank, in past discussions on the radiator shell I, and I think others, said that the Ulster had the second type of mounting bracket.  This shell has the two bolts mounted through the front face.  By the time the 65 and Nippy appeared, they were mounted on a third type of bracket resulting in no bolt-holes in the front face.  But some time ago Ruairidh reminded me of the photo above and perhaps there were some Ulsters fitted with the third type - although my search through photos of standard cars as well as Ulsters only show the earlier mounting.  This plus the honey-comb core in the photo makes that Ulster curious - or was it correct & perhaps similar in others?   Cheers,  Bill in Oz

Bill, I have in my possession three radiator shells of the 1929/30 type. None of them have holes in the side for a wing stay of the Nippy persuasion, nor do they have mounting holes in the front of the shell. All of them have holes for the two equal legged rad mounts.

Super rare? Yet these shells I acquired as they turned up over the years, they are not specially selected to have this form of mount. What are the odds?

Regards,
Stuart