The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
play in 1929 steering wheel items
I've had a look at the parts list (below) but can't identify which bits I may be missing.

I have play on (1) the steering wheel itself and (2) the ignition/gas plate is loose.

Both don't seem to tighten so I am suspecting bushes may be missing and I haven't got Platts catalogue to hand.
Could anyone diagnose what likely needs a shim or a bush in the event of parts not being easily replaceable please?

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot 2018-08-15 11.47.38.png (Size: 670.31 KB / Downloads: 204)
The ignition/gas plate should have a pinch bolt underneath that, when tightened, clamps the plate onto the column. Some repro ones do have a centre hole that is a touch big so need either a lot of tightening or, better, a turn of shim between the hole and the column. The steering wheel should be tight on its splines when the securing nut is tight. Wear in the splines will lead to problems. Whilst the column splines are steel and not likely to wear in normal use, the splines in the steering wheel are in the alloy casting and can wear. However, are you sure it's play at the steering wheel and not play in the steering box lower down?

Steve
great, thankyou.

I'll shim the plate 'ole as its bolt is already quite tight.

And I can assess the spline wear when I take the centre rod out. It definitely feels like steering wheel as I can lift rim up and down by a mm or so.

(Anyway, all less important as the thing started and drove and selected all gears and returned to base without loss of bodily fluid or major articles in road!)