The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bearing races on Hardy Spicer joints
I have hardy spicer joints front and rear on my SWB Ulster Rep. The rear one had a couple of stiff spots so I ordered a new kit of races and spider from one of the cherished suppliers. With the Woodrow book, I thought the races would come out easily. Wow, was I wrong. After a couple of hours of fiddling and whacking with a brass drift, I got everything apart. The races were not rusty and I could see no reason why they were so tight in the yokes. One of the races had obvious wear spots from three or four needles. My question  is how tight should the outer races be in the yokes. Firm, so they don't spin, but it seems as if the yokes were machined out too tight. My other question is if the holes in the yokes are too tight, could that distort the outer races?

Erich in hot smoky Seattle.
The caps are a tight push (With your thumb) fit. You shouldn't need to use brute force to push them in. The yokes are often "bruised" by others bashing them with a hammer to get the old ones out. I have sometimes dressed the outer edges of the hole with a mini grinder to remove burrs / bruises. I doubt the yokes would deform the caps - perhaps poor quality joint in the first place , unless the yoke has been deformed (Unlikely ?).
The reccomended way of getting the caps out is to strike the yoke from the outside 45degrees to the axis of the cap. In effect, the yoke goes down and the cap stays where it is (Ie, pops out) after several strikes with a copper mallet.
Erich,

I have just had exactly the same experience, albeit mine had been in for many years and had a little rust around them. Now they're apart I have cleaned them back to bright metal but the caps still seem far too tight to me. Definitely not a push fit.  

Reamer on order, and spare yolks are there in case I need them!

Peter.
Thank you, Bob and Peter. I have used a Dremel tool with sand drum to remove any burrs and they fit much better. I'll note there seems to be a bit of a taper as when the race is pushed out, it is easier toward the end.

Erich in Seattle