The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy wing beading?
Hi All, I have a conservation project under way with the Chummy at present, dealing with a bit of corrosion between the wings and body. The car did not have wing beading/piping fitted, rather a black mastic if some kind, which looked suspiciously like bitumen gutter sealant to me! My question is should a 1928 tourer have beading between the wings, running boards and body?

And while I am on the subject of corrosion, any thoughts regarding powdery aluminium? The image below shows the back lip of the car, where steel tacks have been used under the aluminium finishing strip to fix the hood to the body. Not a good idea!

Thanks, John
Many fit wing piping but I am of the opinion that it was not used originally.

(14-08-2018, 07:48 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Many fit wing piping but I am of the opinion that it was not used originally.

Thanks Ruairidh, my thoughts were to go without, but what to use between body and wings/running boards? Something like a Wurth sealant perhaps?
What about this one then ?
That’s not a Chummy Robert!   Big Grin

I don’t use anything between the items you mention Jboy - others will though.
I was waiting for someone to say that, but it is a in period photograph clearly showing wing piping!!
Now I’m confused!
It’s exactly what happens when trying to be definitive - there are always exceptions/alternatives etc.

I know that the Chummy shown in the photo was new at the time and has no piping, the Saloon appears to be the same and has piping.
Another period (factory??) shot of a Chummy here: http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...view&id=39
Over the years I have had several 'chummies' (1926-1930), and not one of them has had wing beading; and I have also had three RK saloons, which have all had beading! I would hesitate to make the logical conclusion, but ...

Oh, and Robert, what a fabulous photo - may I add it to the Gallery?