The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear hub seal.
Hello All

Having now removed my rear hub assembly from my '37 Ruby axle I find the felt seals a little worse for wear so would like to replace them.
Is there a modern lip seal used instead nowadays and if so would I be correct in thinking that you discard the large flat washer that sits behind the felt seal as well.
Also, is it better to use something like "Wellseal" as an alternative to the paper gasket between the 2 hub halves please?
As always, any input very gratefully received thank you.

Graham.
(12-08-2018, 01:23 PM)GrahamĀ Honnor Wrote: Hello All

Having now removed my rear hub assembly from my '37 Ruby axle I find the felt seals a little worse for wear so would like to replace them.
Is there a modern lip seal used instead nowadays and if so would I be correct in thinking that you discard the large flat washer that sits behind the felt seal as well.
Also, is it better to use something like "Wellseal" as an alternative to the paper gasket between the 2 hub halves please?
As always, any input very gratefully received thank you.

Graham.
Don't discard the large washer; without it the two halves of the hub will not clamp the bearing firmly, and it might turn in the hub causing wear. Continue to use the paper gasket, but some Wellseal on the surfaces will be agood thing. If your hub halves are perfectly flat you might be alright without the Wellseal, but I believe in a bit of jointing compound such as Wellseal, which will ensure that you don't get leakage into the brakes. Lip seals are readily available from the usual A7 suppliers such as Seven Workshop or A7 Components, and from bearing suppliers in general if you can give them the dimensions of the seal you need.

Robert Leigh
Many thanks for that Robert I will order some tomorrow.
I use sealed bearings which prevents oil leaks from the axle and the need to grease the bearings.
Jim
Hello Jim
Thanks for your reply.
I've just seen those on the Seven Workshop site but as my bearings are so good I thought I'd
try the cheaper option first.
I also did a search and see that some people use the sealed bearing and the felt seal which makesĀ 
sense, especially if your plagued with oil from the axle.
I'll see how it goes and may go down that route if this fails.
May I ask what you, or others use to seal the 2 halves of the hub together with please.
Thank you.
Graham
I've just built a new axle. Painted it this afternoon. Axle side tubes sealed to the banjo with Loctite 5980. Front/rear hub halves will be sealed together using 5980 also. Diff end of axle tube felts/cups replaced with lip seals. Hubs not fitted yet but will be felts as original. That's how I've done all my axles for years and never had any oil leakage issues. Bigger issue is over greasing the hubs. Grease the hub bearings when you assemble them and then never again.

Steve
Many thanks for that Steve, I appreciate your input.
The axle looks great by the way. It's a shame to hide it under the car!
Graham.