The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The mighty Atom ?
Just found this on utube

https://youtu.be/PPk0SZYfCLo

Can anyone explain what the “Atom was”, it looks as if it may be the marine version.

Roger
Hi Roger,
You should be able to find the Mighty Atom under the bonnet of your Seven.
It was the pet name of the power unit.
Its in the title of the U tube film.

The Marine engine was called Thetis.
brilliant video, thanks for the share
Playing the Banjo in Rotherham
Huge number of people spectating at Shelsley Walsh...!!
(11-08-2018, 09:52 PM)Damian GT Wrote: Huge number of people spectating at Shelsley Walsh...!!

Enormous! At least by the time of this film marshalls seem to have been keeping spectators at a notional distance from the track. I have a super photo on my wall of Archie Frazer-Nash passing through the top bends in his Spider in '21, people are sitting scarcely a foot up the grass bank!
Every single time I see a film showing Brooklands I wonder did it ever look new? I guess all the films we have are from quite a time after it opened so we don't ever see it when it was.

Simon
200,000 tons of concrete were used for the track surface after 350,000 cubic yards of earth was removed. Due to the risk of winter frosts the concreting was not started 'til mid March '07 yet completed by June that year. Whilst not a civil engineer, I expect the techniques used in the laying were not up to modern standards. This shows up in early photographs of the track surface where you can clearly see the joins, but looking smart. The paddock area however seems to have been a very roughed and patched surface.
Even in August 1907 it didn't look that good!

.jpg   106100.jpg (Size: 105.2 KB / Downloads: 321)
(12-08-2018, 04:29 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Even in August 1907 it didn't look that good!
Arthur Waite, who competed in a larger Austin originally (long before the Seven), told me that most of the joins were bad enough to shake the fillings out of one's teeth.  In later years one of the Duck drivers (from memory it may have been Driscoll) used to pad the inside of the car with foam rubber to avoid the shocks on his knees & body.  Perhaps not a perfect track?   In previous corres, we've discussed Aspendale where similarly after several meetings there were cancellations often because of the condition of the track (which at first was dirt) - then it was closed for several months in order to rebuild the track (for 1923 season) with the concrete banking a la Brooklands.  But afterwards there were similar problems.  After a couple of motorcyclists were killed there, the Car organising body withdrew their support, so only crazy motorcyclists kept racing there up until WW2.  Imagine what it would cost to build a trouble-free circuit on the lines of Brooklands today.  Cheers,  Bill in Oz.
Unless my photo deceives me Shelsley also was a dirt track in 1921.