The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wax oil, should i use it?
So i have just taken charge of my Austin, and on the ramps it looks quite decent nick underneath, now what is the best way to keep it that way, clean everything down and paint it, or should i cover everything in wax oil?
thanks guys  Smile
Playing the Banjo in Rotherham
Both.
Hi Banjodeano
I have wax oiled all the cars I have owned and never had a problem, bought my Ruby two months ago with a seized engine its now running but plenty of work to do to get it to my standard and it will definitely be wax oiled.
I am just up the road in Swallownest
Just don't use silicone sealant on your engine!

No seriously, the black brush on stuff is jolly good. My car had nothing else on the underside for 30 odd years (i.e. on bare steel) and it only rusted when the coating started coming away - it does eventually dry out and fall off if not re-coated. I agree with Hedd though, paint then apply over the top. Then take a look underneath once a year or so and address any signs of failure.

Check you don't need to weld anything before you apply it rather than after!
(11-08-2018, 09:56 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Just don't use silicone sealant on your engine!

No seriously, the black brush on stuff is jolly good. My car had nothing else on the underside for 30 odd years (i.e. on bare steel) and it only rusted when the coating started coming away - it does eventually dry out and fall off if not re-coated. I agree with Hedd though, paint then apply over the top. Then take a look underneath once a year or so and address any signs of failure.

but doesnt wax oil stay supple? i thought the really old stuff that people put on that was like a tar, i thought that eventually dried out, but i thought wax oil stopped.......well,  waxy?
Playing the Banjo in Rotherham
(11-08-2018, 09:56 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Just don't use silicone sealant on your engine!

Interesting your point regards to Silicone Sealant C KC, I've seen a car for sale, and it looks like it has blue sealant here there and everywhere, sorry to go off thread a little, but have you had a bad experience we should be aware of, I'd like to know please. I personally hate the stuff too, but if I'm looking at a car that has had loads, I'd love to know what your bad experience may have been. Other than it just looking wrong, and quite frankly in my experiences, if you use a decent old fashioned suitable paper or cork gasket... it seals ok.

On the wax oil question, I'd agree. Its a good product, clean things down first a little if you can, it certainly helps to repel water etc.... I've seen bad experiences with cars that had Ziebart on over the years, where the parts missed had became like an anode on a boat, but that was some years ago...

Regards

M-M.
I agree, Waxoyl eventually dries, and water can get underneath.

It is very sensitive to heat, was very liquid when I used it in this hot weather.

I have never tried it, but maybe if heated with a hair dryer, would liquify and re-atttach.

Simon
I've used Dynax s50 and Dynax UB on various cars and been very happy with the results, they advertise thier products as better than the market leader but clearly that's for others to decide .I'm certainly happy with it.
Look up Fluid Film...excellent and easy.
Hi all. I do not use anything on my Ruby but check for rust regularly. So far no signs despite its 83 years. The underside is well painted, the car is garaged in an airy dry garage when not in use and not used over the winter period when corrosive salt is put down on roads to thaw ice and snow. I can recall years ago painting a type of rubberised paint type stuff underneath a new modern I bought which worked for about two years but once damaged by road debris bouncing up from the wheels rust and body rot started as water got trapped behind the rubber coating and was unable to dry out.

John Mason