The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competitive Sevens
    [
The Chummy of Judy and Alan Fairless next to a certain Ruby whilst a Model A crew wrestle with their OS map

Saturday before the Bank Holiday saw the lanes of North Shropshire with cars looking for clues in the Inter-Register  Scatter Rally. Three Sevens were entered and four took part, Team Bradshaw setting off in a Ten but quickly going back to change it for their Chummy.  A certain modest chap took 3rd overall in the Ruby, and Chris and Colin Cooke came sixth, also getting the long distance award for coming all the way  from Towcester up to Cockshutt in their 1932 Box Saloon.  Unfortunately only two of the Sevens had signed in as PWA7C, allowing Model A Fords to take first place and get more points in the arcane calculations for the Inter-Reg Shield. What was interesting from a Seven point of view was the number of Seveners  involved ;  triallist Richard Houlgate the winning navvy in a Humber,  other distinguished triallists Andy Fox and Jon Yeeles also competing. Jim Wood was scruting, but having checked fire extinguisher and throttle return spring was capable of helpful mechanical discussions and hints from his work with Don Rawson.

Certain persons on the VSC Forum have been muttering and deriding 1930s saloons as "grey porridge." An event like the North Salop Scatter shows how central Austin Sevens and their owners are to vintage and PVT motor sport. We're not very good at polishing and posing in paddocks, but we spend a lot of time in narrow lanes or on muddy hills, that is when we're not marshalling or organising.
I quite like grey porridge, had some this morning, much better for you than kidneys or kippers served by your footman.
That's nothing. This morning I got up three hours before i went to bed, worked for 16 hours down t'pit, had two cups of cold gravel for breakfast and then me dad chopped me to death wi t'coal hatchet. Luxury!
LOL, I shall be at Cockshutt with my grey vintage seven saloon a week tomorrow!.

Let me know next year and I'll pop round in it for the craik.

I was in Shrewsbury with my chummy on Saturday.
You’d be very welcome Hedd. Especially if you don’t beat me.
These events are great fun. More of you should try them.
Alan Fairless
I know the gent with the Humber 9/20 just down the road from the Millenium Hall. My traction engine is currently in Cockshutt at a fellow steam enthusiasts place about 100yards away. Trouble is I was at Onslow park on Saturday with the steamer and chummy.