The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil change
My first post on the new forum ,there was a thread running on the Bravenet forum about running in on 30 oil with the Australian pistons (ex Holmsdale sevens ) and what milage to change the oil . I have done 301 miles on the oil , is it time to change it , and can I now use Halfords Classic 20 /50 ?.
I always do the 500, works for me
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(27-08-2017, 01:12 PM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: My first post on the new forum ,there was a thread running on the Bravenet forum about running in on 30 oil with the Australian pistons (ex Holmsdale sevens ) and what milage to change the oil . I have done 301 miles on the oil , is it time to change it , and can I now use Halfords Classic 20 /50 ?.

Nigel, 
300 miles is enough for an engine to run-in
Has your engine got an oil filter ? if so change the oil and use 20/50. If no filter drain and fill with SAE 30 or 40

All multigrade oil contains an additive to keep particles in suspension, which are removed when the oil passes through the filter.  SAE 30 (known as straight oil)  does not contain those additives therefore particles drop out and remain in the sump until it is drained.
If using 20/50 without a filter you will increase the wear within the engine, however as most of our engine are lucky to do 1000 miles per year it would 10 years before you notice.
Thanks Keith, as i have half a can of 30 I will refill with that for the next 300 miles ,no I dont have a filter on it ,but for the last 30 years have run my RN on 20/50. I wondered about running the engine on fully synthetic as it seems more "slippery " than mineral oil , any one done it ?
(27-08-2017, 09:13 PM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: Thanks Keith, as i have half a can of 30 I will refill with that for the next 300 miles ,no I dont have a filter on it ,but for the last 30 years have run my RN on 20/50. I wondered about running the engine on fully synthetic as it seems more "slippery " than mineral oil , any one done it ?

Hey Nigel, Think you will find synthetic is also a multigrade with even more additives in that require the use of a filter.  Austin 7 engines with white metal bearings are very forgiving and unless you are using the RN very hard I doubt you will notice.  You would be better off having an extra pint in the pub than putting synthetic in a none filtered engine.

Good Luck

Keith