The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front shock on Ulster Rep
Hi All,

I decided today that I would paint the front shock on my recently acquired Ulster Rep. Easy, I thought, a couple of bolts and I could paint. What I found was not as was described in the Woodrow book. First, the OS center twin arm had its mounting holes for the bushed end, drilled to 1/2 inch. The NS arms were drilled to 5/8. The latter had been bushed while the former was not. Both fixing bolts were a sloppy fit. Further, I found two brass washers, the size of the friction discs, on either side of the mounting bracket. It would seem that the brass washers would allow easier movement, which would seem to be contradictory to what the shock and the friction discs are supposed to do. Or am I missing some mystical go fast theory? Also, some fiber washers were doubled and others were not there. But a total of eight, just not in the right places. Did Mickey Mouse build this?

Erich in Seattle
(08-08-2018, 03:58 AM)Erich Wrote: Hi All,

I decided today that I would paint the front shock on my recently acquired Ulster Rep. Easy, I thought, a couple of bolts and I could paint. What I found was not as was described in the Woodrow book. First, the OS center twin arm had its mounting holes for the bushed end, drilled to 1 inch. The NS arms were drilled to 1 1/8. The latter had been bushed while to former was not. Both fixing bolts were a sloppy fit. Further, I found two brass washers, the size of the friction discs, on either side of the mounting bracket. It would seem that the brass washers would allow easier movement, which would seem to be contradictory to what the shock and the friction discs are supposed to do. Or am I missing some mystical go fast theory? Also, some fiber washers were doubled and others were not there. But a total of eight, just not in the right places. Did Mickey Mouse build this?

Erich in Seattle
Almost certainly, Erich.
My AG which came via California was the one he cut his teeth on! He didn't appear to learn anything though when he went on to work on yours in Europe!
The large brass washers are 'separator discs'. These were fitted between the mounting bracket and the friction disc but only on the back shock absorbers not the front.
I don't know why.
Jim
(08-08-2018, 08:46 AM)AustinWood Wrote: The large brass washers are 'separator discs'. These were fitted between the mounting bracket and the friction disc but only on the back shock absorbers not the front.
I don't know why.

Must say that has always baffled me!
(08-08-2018, 08:49 AM)Chris KC Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 08:46 AM)AustinWood Wrote: The large brass washers are 'separator discs'. These were fitted between the mounting bracket and the friction disc but only on the back shock absorbers not the front.
I don't know why.

Must say that has always baffled me!

I thought the brass disc on the rear shock absorbers were to prevent wear on the brackets that are riveted to the chassis. The front bracket is bolted on and could be replaced if worn.