The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
"Grabbing" Brakes
There you are I am older by a year than you Roly !! and still have a Pearl with its body still off to finish (I hope! )
And I'm 4 years younger than my 32 RP and still playing.
Thumbs Up 
Try removing the brake drums and check that one or more of the brake pull off springs haven't become detached.
That was the cause of my brakes grabbing in reverse, and it hasn't reoccurred since.
Don't worry - those 4 years  will fly by until you reach the 3 score  'n ten (as I did last Monday).
Am I at the end of my mid-life crisis, or the middle of my end-of life crisis?............................................
Cheers
Bob
(12-08-2018, 04:49 PM)Bob Kneale Wrote: Try removing the brake drums and check that one or more of the brake pull off springs haven't become detached.
That was the cause of my brakes grabbing in reverse, and it hasn't reoccurred since.
Don't worry - those 4 years  will fly by until you reach the 3 score  'n ten (as I did last Monday).
Am I at the end of my mid-life crisis, or the middle of my end-of life crisis?............................................
Cheers
Bob

I was thinking the same Bob.

I backed my Pearl out of the garage this week after 4 years of storage, and it was a barn find prior to that, the last person had overtightened everything to try and get a hand brake, I think, and what happens is the pads drag on the way back if the adjusters are wound out too tight... Well thats what used to happen on other Drum brake cars I've had over the years, its actually stopped now since I've run it round a bit, up and down my drive, but thats usually my thought on such an occurrence in the brakes department, when binding in reverse.... goes with a heck of a clunk/judder judder judde.....

M-M
Nearly 81 and still enjoy working on my Ruby  Smile
(05-08-2018, 08:50 PM)pid=\14094 Wrote:Remedial works are complete. The king pins and bushes were serviceable. The spring shackles and bushes were replaced. The ball for the radius arms was very worn and a new one was procured. New ball cups also fitted. The car's handling feels very precise now. I am well pleased.   

Roly
(05-08-2018, 08:39 PM)Roland Alcock Wrote: My Opal has started that malarkey. 
Braking in reverse is like a 10 foot scaffold pole has been suddenly driven into the ground. Such is the violence of stopping. 

Observation shows lots of movement in king pins and some movement in spring shackles. 
So the axle twists making for a self servo action on the brakes. 

Remedial work takes place very shortly. 

Roly

Thanks Roly,  I'll be interested to see how you get on. I don't have King Pin problems but spring shackles could be the cause.  I'll check those. Cheers.
Smiley.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1931 RN, 1933 APD
(05-08-2018, 07:21 PM)Smiley Wrote: I have a problem with the brakes grabbing in reverse on my 1932 RP.  I have to reverse out of
my garage down a gradual slope. The brakes make a horrific noise when applied.  Has 
anyone experienced the same problem and if so how did you cure it ? Angry

Perhaps worth repeating that front brake cotter pins should be fitted with nuts at the front. If not the front wheels can grab on full lock when reversing.  It is easier ( less fiddle) to fit the cotters from the front which, I suppose, is why they are often done that way.

Charles