The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearbox identification
Having cleaned umpteen years of grime from my gearbox (4 speed) I find these numbers on the top:
2 SYN 530 ....S
can someone tell me from whence it came!
(04-08-2018, 08:43 AM)David.H Wrote: Having cleaned umpteen years of grime from my gearbox (4 speed) I find these numbers on the top:
2 SYN 530 ....S
can someone tell me from whence it came!

From a late Ruby or car of that age. 2SYN indicates that it has synchromesh on second gear as well as third and top. It is possible that the lid has been fitted to an earlier gearbox without this feature.

Robert Leigh
And the ending S, for sports.
(04-08-2018, 10:31 AM)NickB Wrote: And the ending S, for sports.
OOOH! what does that imply? Close ratios ....?
The car is a bit of a special (AG, short chassis, original steel chummy style body, Nippy head c& manifold 30VEI carb, hydraulic brakes 17" wheels, etc) so a sports box is a possibility. Smile
The engine has oil pressure & almost runs, but I suspect the Carburettor is bunged up somewhere. I have an ultrasonic cleaner...any advice on what solution to use? I don't want to dissolve the body....!
David,
Is there an " S " stamped to the rear of the gearbox casing? If so, and the gearbox hasn't been messed with it, would indicate it contains Nippy ratio gears.
I had always understood a 2SYN suffix indicated Syncro on 2 gears. i.e top and third. A 3SYN suffix indicated Syncro on 3 gears. 2ND third and top
(04-08-2018, 01:36 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: David,
Is there an " S " stamped to the rear of the gearbox casing? If so, and the gearbox hasn't been messed with it, would indicate it contains Nippy ratio gears.

Now I have to clean up the back of the box & see what I can see!
D
As I recall the car had other Nippy parts fitted so I anticipate you will find its a Nippy gearbox
Black Art Enthusiast
Wasn't the gearbox described in the sales literature as a "Double Top" gearbox ?
(04-08-2018, 10:41 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: As I recall the car had other Nippy parts fitted so I anticipate you will find its a Nippy gearbox
Fingers crossed!
What are the differences? Ratios? strength?