The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rist horn repair
Does anyone have recommendations for repair to an original Rist horn, sadly no longer working. I have an excellent modern repro, it’s just not the same though, is it...
Jboy there's a guy in Australia called 'The Klaxon Man' but I hear mixed reports and cost is likely to be high. Don't know anyone in the UK.

I bought a non-working Rist and all I had to do was clean the contact breakers, this is not at all hard just be methodical and put bits back where they came from.

There are a couple of good articles about repairing Rists, can't remember if it's in the Companion or Cornwall A7 club site I think - sorry I'm in Norway right now or would dig them out for you - someone here will know.

Finally Rists sometimes suffer cracked diaphragms - these are available off the web for 30 or 40 quid or you could perhaps make one.
Cornwall Club:

http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Artic...%20Repair/
(31-07-2018, 09:14 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Cornwall Club:

http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Artic...%20Repair/

Yes, that one! Thanks Mike.
you may find 'Taff the Horns' very useful, can be found on the net or  lynn.isaac@tinyworld.co.uk  cheers  Russell
(01-08-2018, 12:17 AM)squeak Wrote: you may find 'Taff the Horns' very useful, can be found on the net or  lynn.isaac@tinyworld.co.uk  cheers  Russell

Thanks Russell, ‘Taff the Horns’ is my man I believe.
On the subject of Rist Horns, does anyone have any idea as to the size of the points gap, and also how much clearance there is or should be - when static - between the face of the 'plunger' and the coil?  I have fitted a new diaphragm (the old one was rusted into 'lace'), and have plenty of electro-magnetic action, all the wiring is sound and tested electrically. When operated it will not vibrate as it should, despite gradual incremental adjustment.  BTW I have read, and been guided by, the excellent item on the Cornwall A7 site re Rist Horns. Any ideas will be welcome.
Thanks
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish