The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
maintenance
Does anyone have any good links to the general maintenance of the Austin BIG Seven? i have the handbook but its not really that great, i am looking to check my wheel bearings soon and i am pretty new to car maintenance, and links or videos would be great thanks  Big Grin
EDIT, its an Austin BIG Seven
Playing the Banjo in Rotherham
Some useful reading here

Find (&join!) your local club http://a7ca.org/member-clubs/
(31-07-2018, 02:32 PM)Pearls not a Singer Wrote: Some useful reading here

Also searching on the old forum site usually shows up lots of information: http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...1&cmd=show

I keep one of those old links around to be able to get to it.

Simon
Several of the A7 Club web sites have very good technical pages, Bristol, and Cornwall are notable, but others also have a lot of good information.
Black Art Enthusiast
Definitely join your local club. It will open up a whole world of helpful people with tips and tools to loan to you to keep your 7 on the road fit and healthy.
We have a technical session about once a month in a member's garage and it is a great source of help.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Thanks for all the info guys, i shall follow all that up...cheers
For basic non racer Sevens there is a need for a simple maintenance guide listing suitable most readily available lubricants and devoid of dubious pet theories.
Original engine oils were somewhat thick, reduced in later Austin recommendations. Thick oil reduced performance, wear, noise, consumption, and leaks. Additives later achieved much of the wear reduction. Inexpensive 20W/50 well suited in many ways but is quite viscous at normal temps.
Any modern (non classic) engine oil is vastly superior to anything available prior about 1960.
Many are wary of detergent oils (the norm)  in unknown old engines, even after sump removed and cleaned.
Note with Sevens there is no input filter so any silicon or cork bits from sump gasket  leads to trouble.
Perhaps not with low use Sevens, but many with older cars overlook that leaks may eventually empty diffs etc..
Whether or not modern full EP oils damage brass bearing cages and bronze bushes seems never to have been positively established, but many avoid. (In 1957 maintenance book from Austin, EP was among the recommendations)
Levels considerably reduced from handbook are used for some/all gboxes and diffs.
The original notion of filling hubs with grease is absurd unless going wading. Esp for the typical Seven unlikely to remain untouched for 100,000 miles, packing little more than the race is fine.
Seven wheel bearings are very adequate size and long lasting. However with cost little object many replace with sealed bearings. Unnecessary at the front but at rear helps to hold back wayward diff oil.
Access to wheel bearings requires a special puller. It is important that bearings lightly clamped by the hub halves. Thick gaskets, omitted seal washers may not ensure this.
Moly grease is likely beneficial for fast wear parts such as kpins and steering.
Thanks Bob, very helpfull
(31-07-2018, 02:32 PM)Pearls not a Singer Wrote: Some useful reading here

I have just ordered the Austin Ruby garage chart from the website you reccomended. I emailed Graham and asked him to reccomend any other literature that might help, so now I have 3 items to start my collection. The other bonus is that he is located next to the unit that I bought the car from (what's the chances of that?) so he will put it all in the car for when it gets shipped next week saving me postage. Its a small world.

Thanks for the link.

Wayne
Hi Banjo

Posts above guide to the various Clubs, mainly with a view to joining. It is a somewhat circuitous path to them, but as Ian pointed out the Club websites contain extensive info.

On the old Forum site on two occasions I printed a review of the commonly used technical books and this may prove useful if you can find. I can repeat yet again if others can tolerate.

A few years ago someone kindly replied that there is/was available a low cost small booklet from one of the Clubs. i was curious to view but by the time I got around to visiting the money changers in town for a UK pound or two I could not find the post and there has been no mention since.

Some vital info, such as the max dynamo output was not emphasised  until the Williams book around 1960, and few other subsequent publications make clear.

For decades owners made do with any handbook which chanced to follow car through multiple owners, or Nicholson or Pitman drawn from, with a lot of confusion due different models.