The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First 7
I've lost track of questions and answers on this thread. Totally confused.
To be clear I have never had nor even been in a Big 7. My car is a 1929 Fabric Saloon.
From what I have heard the Big 7 is not much, if at all, quicker than a Seven. It is heavier which negates the power increase.
During it's production life Austin Sevens got gradually heavier. I have found earlier cars are often more lively.
My fabric saloon uses a steel floor pan more or less the same as a chummy of the same age. It has a wooden frame covered in fabric - similar to hood material. There is some aluminium to support curved sections of the body. It is designed to be light.
Jim
Hi Wayne,

I don't think it's been asked yet but what do you intend to use a seven for? What kind of roads are you likely to be driving on? 

If your road test took you quite quickly to a main road I can totally understand why your test drive may have been a disappointment. However if your thinking of using it on more minor roads I think you may love it! I recently went on a road run in my Edwardian with a group of sevens and by the second junction they had left me for dead so the lack of a seven's speed and acceleration is relative. I think you might be better off making sure the brakes are set up perfectly so you can stop sharpish if required rather than hunt for extra speed, there are some very considerate road users but also quite a few idiots. If I was really concerned about gaining performance from my seven (if I ever get it done) I'd go on one hell of a diet as that would make a massive increase to my power to weight ratio, and the cars too Big Grin

Just my two pence, good luck which ever way you go.

Tom

PS if going for a classic MG I'd go for a BGT, bit more leg room (I'm 6'2") and the overdrive in 3rd and 4th  Tongue
If driving with a nervous passenger I think a 7 will always be a little scary for them.They aren't exactly cars that make you feel cocooned in safety.

My 'modern' is an MGB so I can recommend them. My preference being a B (convertible) over a GT (with the roof). If you're going for the sports car experience you don't want a roof. Leg room in both is the same. Cheap cars, easy to get parts, easy to work on, simple and fun. Definitely get an overdrive gear box although I find I only ever use OD on 4th and never on 3rd. A B is a bit bigger and more useful than a Midget without being a huge car. A little more practical for weekends away say. Also being newer than a vintage car there is less maintenance and it is easier to fix things when they go wrong.

If tinkering is your thing though a 7 is great, there is always something that can be tweaked or played with and I think a really well set up 7 shouldn't need a huge amount of maintenance either really.

Also agree that whatever 'old' car you get make sure it can stop. I've found people pulling out in front of me is more of an issue than people tailgating. You can always pull over for them and usually they will just then go tailgate the person in front.I don't think they do it because you're in an old car, they do it because they are dickheads. People are more likely to pull out in front of an old car thinking 'I don't want to be stuck behind that' because people are lousy at judging speed/distance.

I find driving defensively but aggressively works (if that makes sense). Look like you know where you're going and drive smoothly and quickly to get there. Know what you'll do or direction you'll head if things go wrong. I think it's meandering, wandering and indecisive driving that will wind people up and perpetuate the old slow car == old slow driver view.

The good thing is in an older car you get a great feel of actually driving without having to be silly or illegally fast. My brother in law has an Audi RS6. Nice car, smooth, solid, bloody fast (0 to illegal in less than 5 seconds) but aside from the fantastic acceleration it was oddly boring, to me anyway.

Simon
(24-07-2018, 12:27 AM)Tom the Blacksmith Wrote: Hi Wayne,

I don't think it's been asked yet but what do you intend to use a seven for? What kind of roads are you likely to be driving on? 

If your road test took you quite quickly to a main road I can totally understand why your test drive may have been a disappointment. However if your thinking of using it on more minor roads I think you may love it! I recently went on a road run in my Edwardian with a group of sevens and by the second junction they had left me for dead so the lack of a seven's speed and acceleration is relative. I think you might be better off making sure the brakes are set up perfectly so you can stop sharpish if required rather than hunt for extra speed, there are some very considerate road users but also quite a few idiots. If I was really concerned about gaining performance from my seven (if I ever get it done) I'd go on one hell of a diet as that would make a massive increase to my power to weight ratio, and the cars too Big Grin

Just my two pence, good luck which ever way you go.

Tom

PS if going for a classic MG I'd go for a BGT, bit more leg room (I'm 6'2") and the overdrive in 3rd and 4th  Tongue

Hi Tom, I think for most of the things I have in mind that a Ruby would fit the bill, I think there is the odd occasion where something with an extra 10 mph top speed would be useful/safer. I'm more confused than ever. I have built myself up over such a long period that I dont know what to think anymore. I absolutely adore the styling of the Austin 7 and have prety much settled on the Ruby. I agree that maybe had my roadtest not taken in a main road then my head would probably be in a different place right now. This is one of the reasons I had condsidered a compromise with the Big 7, but it appears that these are not much different to the Ruby.

As for going down the MG route, I only have a limited space available in my garage and the length of a Midget is about as much space that I have.

Wayne
Perhaps another test drive (or 2 as earlier recommended) is in order, on minor roads, to remind you what you loved/hated about the first test drive and to find on which side of the scale the balance falls.
Are you also just asking too much of what most consider their weekend fun car to drive at 30-40mph and enjoy smelling the roses?
Remember also that I believe the first Rubys had the lower power Box engine (others can confirm). So for your needs you at least want the higher power if you go for the heavier Ruby.
Perhaps if you reset your goals for the car then it won't have to live up to quite such expectations and you might just fall in love with the reality as well as the idea. Most of us here did just that.
Only you can make that decision. But I am not aware of anyone having regretted making it. What's the worse that can happen, if you decide in a year that it wasn't for you then resell it and you won't lose your money if you spent it wisely.

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(24-07-2018, 07:18 AM)Andy Bennett Wrote: Perhaps another test drive (or 2 as earlier recommended) is in order, on minor roads, to remind you what you loved/hated about the first test drive and to find on which side of the scale the balance falls.
Are you also just asking too much of what most consider their weekend fun car to drive at 30-40mph and enjoy smelling the roses?
Remember also that I believe the first Rubys had the lower power Box engine (others can confirm). So for your needs you at least want the higher power if you go for the heavier Ruby.  
Perhaps if you reset your goals for the car then it won't have to live up to quite such expectations and you might just fall in love with the reality as well as the idea. Most of us here did just that.
Only you can make that decision. But I am not aware of anyone having regretted making it. What's the worse that can happen, if you decide in a year that it wasn't for you then resell it and you won't lose your money if you spent it wisely.

Andy B

Hi Andy. I agree that a couple of test drives may well be the answer. There are no cars anywhere near to me, that is why I traveled 210 miles on Sunday. I will keep checking to see what comes up. Also it is a valid point to own one and if it really doesnt work out then sell it and go a diffent route.

Wayne
If built correctly, Big 7 engines are noticeably more powerful than the standard engine. They are also terrific value as prices are often less than a Ruby of same year. See if you can find someone to let you take a ride in one.

One of the best power to weight ratio Austin model, in my opinion, is the early (chrome rad.) Austin Ten. It happily cruises at 50mph all day with brakes to match, again, terrific value compared to some Sevens.
(24-07-2018, 08:27 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: If built correctly, Big 7 engines are noticeably more powerful than the standard engine.  They are also terrific value as prices are often less than a Ruby of same year.  See if you can find someone to let you take a ride in one.

One of the best power to weight ratio Austin model,  in my opinion, is the early (chrome rad.) Austin Ten. It happily cruises at 50mph all day with brakes to match, again, terrific value compared to some Sevens.

Thanks, there is a Big 7 6lite advertised at a dealer that has been fully restored and the engine has been rebuilt and bored to +30 so maybe this may be an option, but I still love the shape of the Ruby.

Wayne
I agree - one of the reasons I have hesitated on purchasing one, despite the advantages to my family circumstances, I have three daughters who are growing at an alarming rate!

Australian bodied Big Sevens came with a convertible option, which does appeal to me...
After a few emails back and forth with Nigel to work out a few things I finally purchased the Ruby last night. Hopefully it should be with me by the end of the week.

Thank you to everybody who answered my questions and gave me advice.

Wayne