The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tappet follower guides
How easy is it to remove these brass guides set in the block? 
Any useful tips appreciated.

I’ve had to swap a set of followers from one block( cracked)
To another and 3 won’t fit into the brass guides.
Still investigating.

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
I removed and re-fitted mine recently, to cut down to fit flatter tappet blocks, each one took about 25 minutes from start to finish.

I used a threaded bar, a couple of nuts, thick washer, a solid socket and a larger socket and a brass sleeve.

I used the nuts on the threaded bar to PUSH out the tappet guide - socket goes against the valve guide, gently wind this down as far as it will go, un-do, fit sleeve and keep winding, comes out nicely and little risk of damage (Woodrow suggests drifting these out...).

To put them back in, use a socket larger this time, and screw up to push it in. Make sure fully home. Alternatively, press in with a hydraulic press.

It is easier than it reads!

Need to get the guide square in, it is possible to get these crooked, but if it is going slightly out, fit a tappet block and with a spanner, the guide can be gently twisted into position.
Are the cam followers split and have the original guides worn to suit?
Have the  guides in replacement block been burred over by rough handling?
I've used a brass drift to remove them as per the Woodrow method, obviously had to be careful not to damage the lip. The second time I did it I put some thick washers under a short bolt and sat this on top of the guide, I could then hammer it with a drift to my hearts content and not damage the lip. Like the response above I pull them back in with a bolt and some thick washers.
Thanks everyone for these tips.
I will return to the workbench today!

Kind regards

Bill G
Here's a simple home made tool I use for this job.

[Image: 31947595842_bc38775de6_c.jpg]

[Image: 31285670603_0db8988f66_c.jpg]
The tool I use for this job is not to complicated.

A cam follower. the first washer was ground down to just under the bronze guides hole size. And the cam follower was SHORTEND with an angle grinder. So you don't have to remove the valve guide.

I use a bar thin enough to go down the valve guide as a drift. To remove the follower guide. And the same tool with a good hammer to refit the follower guides.

It's never failed.

I didn't even use a good follower, yes that's a crack down one side.

Priceless.

Tony.

[attachment=3292]
I have one of those as well Tony.
Thanks everyone for all these helpful posts.

Tappet follower problems now resolved!
And newly metalled rods and new crank arrive on Tuesday.
So looking forward to engine assembly...

Regards

Bill G
Been looking at a block to dismantle and Woodrow. Some questions arise:
1. how do you assess what might constitute wear in follower guides? Do I assume they don't wear? (Woodrow also not great in assessing same for valve guides)
2. How does one know exactly how to reduce the tappet/cam follower block height in response to having the followers radiused, which I presume constitutes a reduction in length?