The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 827 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "query" - Line: 1505 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1505 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1510 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1510 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "v" - Line: 1591 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1591 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bantam Two seater
Anyone fancy a 1933 American Bantam two seater project? One for sale in Clovis New Mexico on Hemmings www.hemmings.com for only $4500. Quite a lot of "lookers" at it but it should be saved from being rodded!
Ad says the motor runs! Looking through the pictures it is mostly all there apart from seats / trim / lights/ top , but looks in generally un-molested condition. Very stylish.
I dare not get another!  I can't get a direct link, so you will have to look it up!
David
that is lovely...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/car...07670.html

American Austin, rather than Bantam - looks a pretty good basis without too much hard work!
American prices  are a puzzle.
I dunno about the UK but here interminable TV programmes about cooking have been replaced by American Pickers. The age of some programmes is uncertain, but the prices for old motor cycles are staggering, tens of thousands of dollars. Yet for old cars prices very modest. Here, a country formerly packed with old cars, interest is now low; the cars I am familiar with, Sevens and Jowetts, fetch half or less UK price. Being practicable in modern traffic and with spares cheaply avilable Ford Model A coupe would fetch $NZ15k-30K (half in UK pounds). Yet on the USA programme good but laid up  Model A coupes go for a mere $US6000. ($NZ8000).
(13-07-2018, 09:28 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: American prices  are a puzzle.
I dunno about the UK but here interminable TV programmes about cooking have been replaced by American Pickers. The age of some programmes is uncertain, but the prices for old motor cycles are staggering, tens of thousands of dollars. Yet for old cars prices very modest. Here, a country formerly packed with old cars, interest is now low; the cars I am familiar with, Sevens and Jowetts, fetch half or less UK price. Being practicable in modern traffic and with spares cheaply avilable Ford Model A coupe would fetch $NZ15k-30K (half in UK pounds). Yet on the USA programme good but laid up  Model A coupes go for a mere $US6000. ($NZ8000).

Bob, Get in and rescue some! I have brought 4 Sevens back. The only problem is that it costs almost as much to bring in a Seven as something ultimately more valuable (if you are looking top make money on it). The main difference is on import  duty/VAT
David
so David, what would you expect a final landed and tax paid price to be if that was bought at say 4000 dollars and brought to UK?

Do these all come in for 'vehicles of historic interest' treatment so VAT and import duty lower, or is that before a certain date only? I did look it up once but it was all quite confusing...
(13-07-2018, 10:23 AM)JonE Wrote: so David, what would you expect a final landed and tax paid price to be if that was bought at say 4000 dollars and brought to UK?

Do these all come in for 'vehicles of historic interest' treatment so VAT and import duty lower, or is that before a certain date only? I did look it up once but it was all quite confusing...

Not coming from the EU will attract car tax and VAT which they include the cost of transport. most importantly you need to make sure that the car have a logbook equivalent otherwise you will have problem registering the car with DVLA.
One advantage I found with a car brought back from America was that the State DMV had kept all the paperwork relating to the car from the time it had been exported in the 1960s. With the help of a local librarian in Oregon, I obtained certified copies of what they had, including an early buff logbook, and this was accepted here by the DVLA and they gave me back the original registration number for the car - quite a bonus.

Regards,
Colin
(13-07-2018, 10:43 AM)Edgar Lowe Wrote:
(13-07-2018, 10:23 AM)JonE Wrote: so David, what would you expect a final landed and tax paid price to be if that was bought at say 4000 dollars and brought to UK?

Not coming from the EU will attract car tax and VAT which they include the cost of transport. most importantly you need to make sure that the car have a logbook equivalent otherwise you will have problem registering the car with DVLA.

Vehicles  over 30 years old will come in as being of "historical interest" with VAT @ 5% and no excise duty. The vehicle should be unmodified, this is part of a HMRC BTI (Binding Tariff Information)  procedure, which the UK shipping agent would normally arrange as part of the import documentation.
Were those Bantams the inspiration for this car I wonder?

And now that theme song is stuck in my head.

Simon