The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "useravatar" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(948) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php(948) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 948 eval
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "userstars" - Line: 11 - File: inc/functions_post.php(948) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(948) : eval()'d code 11 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "useravatar" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(948) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(948) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "userstars" - Line: 11 - File: inc/functions_post.php(948) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(948) : eval()'d code 11 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Austin dealers in Cornwall
Does anyone know who the Austin dealers were in Cornwall (DAF registration) in 1937? I'm guessing there is no chance of attributing a registration to a particular dealer?

My parents used to holiday with our Ruby in Cornwall in the 1950s and lived in hope of meeting the original owner.

Peter.
(23-08-2017, 10:19 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: Does anyone know who the Austin dealers were in Cornwall (DAF registration) in 1937? I'm guessing there is no chance of attributing a registration to a particular dealer?

My parents used to holiday with our Ruby in Cornwall in the 1950s and lived in hope of meeting the original owner.

Peter.

(24-08-2017, 01:02 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote:
(23-08-2017, 10:19 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: Does anyone know who the Austin dealers were in Cornwall (DAF registration) in 1937? I'm guessing there is no chance of attributing a registration to a particular dealer?

Peter.
Hi Peter - away from home at present, but if no-one else comes good to help, I can tomorrow  at least advise the Austin Dealers in 1934.  Because of their sales successes, it's unlikely that dealers changed much in that pre-war period.  Good Luck,  Cheers,  Bill

Peter.

Peter.
Hi Peter - away from home at present, but if no-one else comes good to help, I can tomorrow  at least advise the Austin Dealers in 1934.  Because of their sales successes, it's unlikely that dealers changed much in that pre-war period.  Good Luck,  Cheers,  Bill

Thank you Bill, much appreciated.

Peter.
Peter,

I can advise but it entails trawling thro' the list of dealers as they are listed by towns / cities. A long job, but I suppose it increases my knowledge of SW geography!!

Chris
(24-08-2017, 08:30 AM)Chris Garner Wrote: Peter,

I can advise but it entails trawling thro' the list of dealers as they are listed by towns / cities. A long job, but I suppose it increases my knowledge of SW geography!!

Chris

Try contacting the Cornwall Austin Seven Club directly. excellent web site and a friendly crowd. Unbiased of course.
Peter.
Sometimes sunny Ccornwall.
Peter - locally to me in North Cornwall the main Austin dealers were W A Hawkey of Egloshayle Road, Wadebridge who eventually closed down in the mid 80s. I've got a copy of the 1939 Kelly's Directory for Cornwall which lists all the motor dealers in the county but doesn't specify who does what... if you would like a copy I can try to scan it for you.
Alastair
(24-08-2017, 10:07 AM)Alastair Wrote: Peter - locally to me in North Cornwall the main Austin dealers were W A Hawkey of Egloshayle Road, Wadebridge who eventually closed down in the mid 80s. I've got a copy of the 1939 Kelly's Directory for Cornwall which lists all the motor dealers in the county but doesn't specify who does what... if you would like a copy I can try to scan it for you.
Alastair
Peter - as Cornwall is the only part of England I don't know and my maps don't define the borders very well, I have difficulty with my Dealers' List.  My efforts to scan & email the lot didn't work (because I use the Local Library's computers), so if you could please email me direct, I'll reply asap.   Cheers,  Bill
Thank you Bill, email sent.

Thank you Alastair and Chris for your helpful offers. I think Bill may have exactly what I want but if not I'll certainly come back to you. My knowledge of West country geography is similarly lacking!

Peter, I did contact the Cornwall Austin Seven Club some years ago and they had no informationl. I'll see what this forum yields, otherwise I will try them again - as you say the website is excellent and there seem to be some knowledgeable people involved.

Peter.
Peter,

I had a few spare minutes this morning so went through the 1936 List of Austin Dealers and picked out the Cornwall dealers for you (I didn't bother writing down the telephone numbers):

Cornwall Austin Dealers Austin Publication No. 1388, 1936
Camborne           Williamson’s Garage, Church St
Helston                The T & T Motor Works & Garage, 30 Coinage Hall St
Lanivet                 W. J. Tonkin & Son Motor Engineers
Launceston         Prout’s Garage Ltd
Liskeard               Beech’s Garage Ltd, The Parade & Barras St
Looe                      Martin’s Garage, Fore St
Penrhyn               Richard’s Garage
Penzance            Taylors (Garage) Ltd, Green Market
Probus                  The Central Garage, Grampound Rd
Redruth               E. C. Berryman, Berryman’s Garage
St. Austell            The County Garage (St. Austell) Ltd, By-Pass Rd
St. Columb          M. K. Powell, Bank St
Truro                     H. T. P. Motors Ltd, Princes Garage, Cornubia, Truro
Wadebridge       W. A. Hawkey & Sons
I have a supplier's plate for HTP Motors in Truro; the address on that is Lemon Quay, so presumably an earlier location.