The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DENSO TAPE, GREASE and LEATHER ON SPRINGS
Yep, they were brand new .
Very nasty!
(12-07-2018, 07:18 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: Yep, they were brand new .

To make any sense/comparison..........how many miles/years in use?

Dennis
Seven years, average 4,000-5,000 miles per year.
I spend a great deal of time removing old springs from Sevens each year and I have never seen any as corroded - really quite extraordinary.
Do they use any salt in your part of the world?
Ten months of the year!
I cleaned, greased and Denso taped the springs years ago and had a similar experience to Robert so I follow Robert's advice and leave my springs naked and slathered in old back axle oil. Once water gets inside it can't get out and it all festers away unseen.
As wonderful as Denso tape is at protecting all sorts of things when wrapping it around rear springs it would make sense to block up the the part of the chassis where the springs fit into it, if this end is left open water will work its way into the wrapped springs and have no way out, this will be worse on a new spring as there is no dirt and rust around it.
I broke my front spring and on dismantling it, it looked like I'd dredged it out of the Manchester Ship canal,. A check of the rears showed a similar situation since when Denso isn't mentioned.