The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gate change gearbox repair
I’m  looking for guidance from those that may already have repaired a worn gearbox gate, from a gate change box, obviously. Attached pictures show both top and bottom groves are “v”d, allowing the ball and lever to slop around.

Any suggestions or advice regarding repair would be appreciated.

.jpg   IMG_2031.jpg (Size: 79.27 KB / Downloads: 319)
.jpg   IMG_2030.jpg (Size: 78.16 KB / Downloads: 317)
.jpg   IMG_2029.jpg (Size: 80.19 KB / Downloads: 317)
This is work in progress, inserts will be held in place when all is married up.

Regards, Mark. 

I'd be interested to know whether JBWeld would do that sort of thing... for those who can't weld!
Slight digression, but I have just spent a lot of time flatting the two surfaces shown above to take up wear around the balljoint. Works very well.
Hi Mark

That is very pretty. For many there is more satisfaction in such work than driving the car, and it is safer! 

Presumably you used a round end end mill. but the original seem to have squared ends. How do you reckon those were machined? Or have they just worn to square ends?
Are the inserts semi circular? If not how were the rounded ends prepared?
Thanks Mark, is this work that you have done yourself, and what material are the inserts machined from please?

John
Hi John

Personally I favour welding and machining, here is one I have just done.
Would strongly suggest that you replace the pin as well as they are nearly always worn.

It is a bit fiddly but worth it when you are driving !

Nick