The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lining up chummy engine with its gearbox!
Someone asked earlier as to the reason behind the change in the splines.  (As stated above, the early (particularly Pram Hood) gearbox had no missing spline).  The official answer from the Factory was that it enabled easier assembly!  Maybe on the bench at Longbridge, but otherwise a poor joke?  If we never swore before, I'm sure we started when lining up a g/box inside a Ruby.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
(29-06-2018, 01:19 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote: Someone asked earlier as to the reason behind the change in the splines.  (As stated above, the early (particularly Pram Hood) gearbox had no missing spline).  The official answer from the Factory was that it enabled easier assembly!  Maybe on the bench at Longbridge, but otherwise a poor joke?  If we never swore before, I'm sure we started when lining up a g/box inside a Ruby.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz

At least not before April 1929 ! 

Some clever person obviously thought that the blind spline would help later assembly by ensuring the clutch plate always fitted into the same place in the gearbox input - I can't see the benefit ?

Tony.
Master splines in similar applications are used to help prevent jamming.
(29-06-2018, 07:45 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Master splines in similar applications are used to help prevent jamming.

Tell that to the person lying under the Austin 7 trying to line up the engine and gearbox Smile Smile
I hear you.
Having recently done this on both single seaters with the motor-box combinations firstly on the engine stand and then again in the chassis.... Where you are working down the loo pipe of the single seater body with the dash panel digging into your shoulder blades, I now am somewhat of an expert in the arcane art of lining up this little gem. I wholeheartedly agree with the advice given of marking the spline and the output flange and doubly agree on try once or twice then pull it out to check where the spline has moved to. My Chiropractor loves me...... I think he is now looking to buy a yacht.

We have a name for this little blind spline.... "Herbert's revenge"

Aye
Greig