The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter dog removal Mag engine
Looking for a little advice here. I cannot shift the starter dog nut on my Magneto engined seven! Before I break anything expensive could I ask for guidance from those that have already been there.

Engine is out of car, stripped to the point of just crank and bearings in case, flywheel off but back on for the purpose of starter dog removal.

Will an impact wrench do it?

Cheers, John
Well, its a right hand thread and its not hardened, so you can play a blow lamp on it for a bit (but not the gear behind it). Then give it a good shock, ideally with a "shock spanner" or BIG ring spanner that you can hit with a copper mallet. Failing that, they used to use a sharp cold chisel against one of the 'nut' flats. My two has some pretty brutal marks on them showing plenty of abuse. I would block the crankshaft with a piece of wood to stop it turning. Put the wood as close to the front end of the crankshaft web.
Thanks Bob, I’ve tried that. Hardwood blocks wedge door. Inside the case, no shifting it.
I've found air compressor driven impact guns work well. Often on rotating things you don't even need to stop the thing rotating, the impacts are enough to break the nuts or bolts loose. Starter dog could be tricky though getting a socket deep enough to fit over it.

Simon
How are you locking the crank?
Thanks Simon, I will try an impact wrench.

Ruairidh, I have a flat bar bolted to the bell housing studs, with two bolts also into the flywheel. In addition I have also packed the inside of the case with hardwood and wedged that in place. A 12 plus stone friend holding down the case, me hitting a six sided ring spanner, or same spanner with 4foot scaffold pole, all with heat to base of starter dog just will not shift it. In fact i am now quite good at shifting my friend and the engine!

If I could be sure of being able to buy a replacement dog I would cut this one off.

John
Eeeek!

I am out of ideas in that case - you can get starter dogs, are you replacing the crank?
Hi Ruairidh, I don’t know about replacing the crankshaft, May have to if I cannot get past this problem. Just  out of interest who has the starter dogs for sale please? I cannot find new reproduction ones listed.

Cheers, John
Tony Betts will most likely have good second hand ones. If not, he will suggest someone who does.

Phoenix has new ones that are suitable for the pressure fed cranks, these may be suitable for you but I have no experience of this.
Faced with a similar problem I used an air driven impact driver together with a six sided deep socket.
It will shift