The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trafficator switch
Can anyone tell how to access the chrome trafficator switch on a 37 Ruby; the screws have come loose.

I have loosened the nuts (A) expecting to be able to undo the rod (B) and then unscrew  ©  from the horn button surround. However the rods will not move and I'm nervous about putting too much force on them. Could they be left hand thread ?!

Also what is the cardboard for (D). It's pretty manky.

Peter.

Good evening Peter. Unscrewing screws 'A' should allow the unit to be lifted away from the stator mounting (movement will be limited by the cable though). Unscrew extended nuts 'B' will allow  extended nuts 'C' to be removed which will allow access to the chrome indicator knob screw (usually only one). New chrome knobs are available from Willie McKenzie should one be required.

There are no left hand threads in the unit.

The 'manky' card is not an original part, why it has been employed I cannot imagine.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart
Peter, Check the Bakelite plate that the extended nuts B are fixed to. As there are holes in the plate. Here where the threads on the bolts come through. On mine there was a crack from the hole to the outside and a previous owner had glued  card around the circumference of the plate to bodge a repair. Your photo looks similar.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Thank you both, I'll try again with renewed confidence.
I had wondered if the card was to prevent it rattling but your suggestion John makes more sense.

I will report back.

Peter.
From memory, when I took mine apart, several years now, there is a piece of plastic to isolate the horn circuit from earth, it looks like someone has replaced this on yours with cardboard, when you get it apart, you will see where this is needed and a small piece of plastic can be inserted and all will be well!
Thank you all, it is back together and working fine.

I couldn't see any need for the cardboard Gary - all the electrics are well clear of the steering wheel - but I removed the loose bits and the left the remainder there for someone else to puzzle over in another 30 years!

Many thanks,  Peter.