The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pop out of gear
When the gear lever on my 1934 A7 is in either 1st or 3rd it often times falls into neutral.  What might be causing this?
Probably weak or broken selector fork springs.
There is a good article here that should help:-

http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Artic...of%20gear/
I would just add don't be shy, stripping & rebuilding an A7 gearbox is not hard so long as you are methodical. Lay it all out neatly as you strip it, watch out for shims, take photos. (tip: gently warming the casing - put it in the bottom of a low oven for 5 mins while the mrs. is out shopping - makes everything come apart a whole lot easier).
The hardest thing is taking the engine out to get to it...
To add to Chris's comment, you don't need much dismantling to change selector springs an balls, half an hour or so once you have done the first for practice. I have dropped selector balls into the gearbox many times, but they can be recovered with a magnet on a flexible bowden type cable. Such devices are available from tool or accessory shops.
Robert Leigh
(23-06-2018, 01:43 PM)Robert Leigh Wrote: To add to Chris's comment, you don't need much dismantling to change selector springs an balls, half an hour or so once you have done the first for practice. I have dropped selector balls into the gearbox many times, but they can be recovered with a magnet on a flexible bowden type cable. Such devices are available from tool or accessory shops.
Robert Leigh

Does the gearbox have to come out of the car or can the selector balls be changed while it’s in the car.
I am not sure if it applies to Seven boxes, but when tinkering with the selector mechanism removed beware pushing the gear engagement beyond usual range so that all the synchro balls fly out That triggers a full dismantling, and a hunt for the parts. Can promote extreme language, especially if it occurs with the box in car.

If first gear teeth are very worn may have to live with jumping. May not be fully meshed although once worn hard to remedy.
The synchro teeth engage shallow and often well worn. Again not readily cured, but good selector springs may mask.
Can the 4speed synchro box be removed without taking the engine out on a 1934 tourer?  Can the detent ball and spring be replace on 3-4 gear with the transmission in the car?
Q1. No.

Q2. Maybe, in theory, it might be possible but I don't think I'd be brave enough to try it!!

Steve
(24-07-2018, 11:58 AM)geodav Wrote: Can the 4speed synchro box be removed without taking the engine out on a 1934 tourer?  Can the detent ball and spring be replace on 3-4 gear with the transmission in the car?

It really has to come out.

It's only 1 day.

Makes sense to change all the springs and balls and check the gearbox bearings any doubt change them (not with cheap Chinese).

It is not so much of a job - if you get a chum to help you will get it all done in a day.
Good thing to replace/service and re-adjust the clutch if needed whilst you are  in the mood. 
Also maybe treat it to a new fabric joint (they usually need it).

Your car will think it's having a birthday  !!!!!