The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Springs - to paint or not?
Hi all.  Perhaps a strange question.  In the quest to prevent corrosion  make cleaning easier and for looks I am proposing to paint my new front spring.  The paint I will use is KBS Coatings Rust Seal.  I know from much experience that it does what it claims: it is very tough (can be hit hard with a hammer and will not mark) and it is flexible.  So should not wear off...no chemical will remove it, it has to be mechanically removed.
I have dismantled the spring to its separate leaves and removed manufacturing heat scale and partially polished surfaces and removed the sharp edges at the ends where they rub.
I am wondering whether to paint the whole surfaces or just the bits that will show??   Undecided

The paint being American is difficult to get in UK and this is my last small tin which will be also used on all front suspension/hubs/back plates...so don't want to waste.
One consideration is that assembled and greased (with Molyslip CV joint grease) it is very difficult to carry out the process to clean/prime and paint the exposed surfaces....Moly is very persistant.

Opinions ?  Any snags I may not have considered?   ( Yes all nuts/bolts/washers get the comprehensive prep and treatment and paint before assembly  Big Grin)

Dennis
I paint my springs, pack them with grease and then cover them with giant shrink wrap - works well for me.
If you want to park your car in the lounge, paint the leaves, don't use grease and wipe daily to remove dust. If you want to use your car, clean it all up, grease between the leaves, clean excess grease off and paint with your favourite paint. I don't cover my springs and if they look dirty, then that is normal road use. Why do you want them to look pristine ? Its not what every '30s car looked like in the era.
After I had the springs for my Wolseley hornet special reconditioned by Owen springs ( still not fitted until I Get the Austin sorted). I had a discussion with them at the NEC and the upshot was leave but regularly coat with Waxoyl which would also help with lubrication.
Ian
I finally fitted my new front spring this morning at one of our club technical sessions. Having greased, I wrapped it in denso tape, as I had to the rear springs about 3 years ago. I used after recommendation here for long term protection against rust and ingress from grit etc.

I can't exactly claim any long term test results, but it looks right and the rears seem to be well protected and greased to the point of not needing any maintenance.

It now sits about 3cm higher and the drive home was transformed with no more tyre rubbing on hard cornering.  Big Grin

Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I use motorbike chain grease for my springs and brake cables.
Comes in a handy spray tin and penetrates between the leaves and into the cables.
(22-06-2018, 12:47 PM)bob46320 Wrote: If you want to park your car in the lounge, paint the leaves, don't use grease and wipe daily to remove dust.  If you want to use your car, clean it all up, grease between the leaves, clean excess grease off and paint with your favourite paint. I don't cover my springs and if they look dirty, then that is normal road use.  Why do you want them to look pristine ?  Its not what every '30s car looked like in the era.

Hi Bob.  The reasoning is in the "prevent corrosion.....and make easier to clean".  To put your mind to rest the Nippy (special) gets VERY much use including in the past many MCC trials with awards won.  (Since the early 1970s)
The reason for this meticulous total rebuild (all nut/bolt and most panels, rad cowling etc.) was that the poor little thing was falling to bits,  panels rusting out and separating and mechanical parts badly worn.  
The 70,000+ miles it did from when I first got it as a written off wreck and got it back on the road were done even though my life was mostly spent at sea,  so much use during the odd 4 months a year of time I managed to be home.
I am now in mid 70s and this, I hope, will be the last major work I will have to do to it.....from now on just routine, simple maintenance and much grin time use  Big Grin 
My aim is to win its class at Beaulieu on its first time out/showing then just normal maintenance.......I hate cleaning and polishing and love driving....so only one concourse (no cotton buds will be used  Wink ) then much daily driving.

Spring leaves now painted all over in the end.  In the past I have used old leather jacket sleeves as spring covers wired on with copper wire stripped from old household electric wiring (60 amp).  However I promis that this time I will not polish and varnish the copper  Rolleyes 

Dennis

Thanks to all replies.  It is often useful to get information across to newer comers to the 7.

Ruairidh......Perhaps when I finish I will wrap the whole car in cling-film till after the first and only concourse.. Big Grin
How long does the shrink-wrap last in use on the springs??

Dennis
Here is my original thread on it, I will photograph what it looks like today and post later for you.

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...2&cmd=show
Photos taken today...

Thanks R........so have lasted since 2011.

Only thing is you can't polish them  Big Grin

Dennis