The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Car Pics
I think its a SV Reliant motor Greig.
(27-08-2017, 12:00 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: I think its a SV Reliant motor Greig.

Definitely Reliant
Hi James,
              Regarding the SU, I would be inclined to fit a Filter Sox they are made to fit over Flared ram tubes.
              My reasons for this are.
             ( ONE)  they keep the dust out
             ( TWO ) they reduce the Vacuum caused by having the intake of the carburettor at Right angles to the Air
                          Flow a long the side of the car.

In the early 70s  F5000  and Canam  cars had the rams vertical and would not produce the same Hp in the
              car as on the Engine Dyno were the air was still hence the intakes above the drivers head now.
               feel Free to disregard if you think its B/S
Cheers Colin
Okay after a quick weigh in:

378kg..

I feel quite happy with that at this stage, considering the modifications etc.
Yes its a Reliant 3 bearing engine with a AMR300 Supercharger.

Engine is early 1940s, just after Austin dropped it and Reliant worked on it for 10 more years.

My reason for Reliant power was the bigger pressure fed 3 bearing crank and the neater water and distributor setup.

(27-08-2017, 11:26 AM)Greig Smith Wrote: A lovely looking little Special, well done !! I'll weigh in for 368kg's...better make sure those chocolate Hobnobs are packed for International travel....

I'm curious about the distributor placement and how you drive it, also the head with the welch plugs on the side, central water off take etc, etc..... On both our single seaters we've modified the dizzy end plate & drive to seat up against the alloy cam gear casting cover, so dispensing with the generator but keeping a short shaft as short of running it from the nose of the cam we couldn't see any other drive options

A lot of 'stuff' under that little bonnet, must have taken many hours of careful engineering, I know how long it's taken us and we've only built ours as a Hillclimb special, no generator, 12v alarm battery to provide the sparks, changed for a fresh one half way through the day. Hand pressurised fuel tank etc. Far simpler than yours

How have you secured your rear panhard rod, I presume from that substantial tube frame behind your back ?

Cheers
Greig

Hi Greg

Thanks for the comments, yes lots under the bonnet, I have to run a separate water and oil catcher tank, as well as a header tank. EWP is at the front under the rad.

Panhard rod is secured against a rear steel chassis, hence the extra weight, boxed in chassis and two cross members as well. I felt there was no point in spending money and time on a sports front axle if the chassis twits against it. Its all very stiff at this stage.

I think I have a gearing issue though, I have ordered a 4.3 ratio but it will not be here till early October, so its first race will be interesting. Rev limiter will be set to allow the engine to live!!

James

(27-08-2017, 09:35 PM)Colin Reed Wrote: Hi James,
              Regarding the SU, I would be inclined to fit a Filter Sox they are made to fit over Flared ram tubes.
              My reasons for this are.
             ( ONE)  they keep the dust out
             ( TWO ) they reduce the Vacuum caused by having the intake of the carburettor at Right angles to the Air
                          Flow a long the side of the car.

In the early 70s  F5000  and Canam  cars had the rams vertical and would not produce the same Hp in the
              car as on the Engine Dyno were the air was still hence the intakes above the drivers head now.
               feel Free to disregard if you think its B/S
Cheers Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for that, I will run a sock, no point in killing the supercharger with grit etc. I already have the phenomenon of the tube between the SU and the Supercharger trying to ice over with water at tick over and low revs!!
Hi James, Try Exhaust wrap on in take Pipe.
Cheers Colin
Ahh OK I didn't think of a Reliant engine, it all makes sense now.

I've never actually seen one in the flesh, Reliants were not something that really made it out to the Colonies....

Cheers
Greig

Sunny South Africa
Hi James   How did the car go at Angouleme on the 17th

Cheers Colin