The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Throw out bearing mods
Hi All,

In removing the engine I found that the throw out bearing side of the gearbox is modified with two pieces of spring steel, holding the throw out bearing to its carrier. Not the most sanitary of installations, but it seems to work as it did apparently for some years prior to my ownership. I'm guessing the purpose is to help the throw out bearing retract onto its carrier. Is this a useful mod or something that was done to solve another issue? Keep it or lose it?

Erich in Seattle

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That has saved me having to think.

The bearing is usually returned by a large diameter spring, retained at the front by a kind of circlip in a groove.

I have a box with the groove partially missing.

You have what seems to be a solution to the problem, and if it has worked ok for a while I will probably copy it.

So: if it is working ok, leave it.   If the groove is still there, and you have the big spring, then it is easily put back to original if you wish.

Simon
You have a four speed clutch thrust fitted to a three speed gearbox Erich - the owner has overcome the issues in doing this with the spring straps.

Terry Griffin posted a comprehensive and neat solution to this recently, come back if you cannot find his article.
That is a neat soloution in itself. Beats spending an hour using a needle file to file a groove for the circlip
It never ceases to amaze me that given a problem Seven owners can come up with a veritable multitude of solutions.
Terry's solution:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2836]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2837]
Thank you Ruairidh, Terry had already sent a PM. Terry's mod looks much less Mickey Mouse that what is on mine. Mine does not have a return spring on the pedal, but does seem to function. Being a newbie, I don't know what it was originally, but Terry said that the stock 3 speed throw out bearing is continually spinning, whereas this arrangement means it is only turning when the clutch is disengaged. I will try to find some springs that are more uniform as mine are not.

Erich in Seattle
I’d be more concerned with the fixing of the gearbox with cable ties. Lol
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Derek, cable ties provide strong fixing and require no bothersome wrenches to work. No chance of stripped threads. ;-)

Erich