The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distributor spindle tolerances; original and accuspark comparison
I can see troubles ahead !
For clarity I have filmed the play in a new unit I have here, well, I say I filmed,  my 9 year old daughter did.

Almost all the ones I have fitted exhibit this and I have noticed no ill effects whatsoever.  Like Simon, I have fitted the electronic base plate to a totally knackered DK4a - it worked perfectly dispite running horribly on conventional points.  I will report back if I discover problems down the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfYnoycqkMo

https://youtu.be/9UoDBsQqjyI
Been following this thread, from what I read the only bit thats any good is the electronic unit.
Film very useful, thanks! (Haven't got ability to do further measurement, Zeto, but it's only just like shown) To be honest, why would we expect a comparatively inexpensive new unit to have the same tolerances as 1930's Austin?

And if we know there are units that have several thousand miles under their belts and don't have more slack than that, then no problem. This thread just needs to be evidence-based so owners can be confident that they are in the 'norm'.
Note 2nd paragraph of Rorry’s last post, might as well forget the unit and just use the electronic bit.
Wrong gear, wrong thread, made in alloy, it’s a shame really.I was considering a couple of these but too many defects for my liking.
I my experience wear in the spindle is only part of the problem, fitting an electronic base plate will not fix the worn advance mech in an old DK4. I am quite certain removing the points by from the equation will effect an improvement, however it will not be a total solution. I have done a lot of work eliminating wear from old Lucas units and I can assure you that sorting out the advance curve properly pays dividends, I am willing to wager that if you fit a correctly adjusted points base plate to an Accuspark unit WITHOUT spindle play the performance will be almost identical to the electronic. Lets see how these new units fair after 20 thousand miles or more, at 3 thousand they are only just run in!
Black Art Enthusiast
(19-06-2018, 03:49 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: Lets see how these new units fair after 20 thousand miles or more, at 3 thousand they are only just run in!

Hi Ian,

I think that’s exacty what those of us who are using them, and have chosen to report our experiences back on the Forum, are trying to do.

There does appear to be a trend where the majority of those using the units do like them, whereas those who haven’t yet used them see barriers.

I shall keep with the ones I am using and keep reporting back my experiences. I do hope others are not put off doing so - I have learnt a lot from their comments so far.

Onwards and upwards!
Perhaps I am more fortunate than most in having the ability to fully refurbish a Lucas distributor, I also have a strong desire to keep cars in period and not to modify then for the sake of it. And that comes from a life long special builder! I also stand by my challenge to pit an AS NEW Lucas against an Accuspark, I guess none of the converts are going to do this as they plainly don't have access to an as new lucas, and I am not going to waste my money on an electronic one when I can not see any advantage. BTW I have fitted an electronic conversion to one of my rebuilt Lucas units with no measurable performance gain so removed it again. If Accucsark want to send me one I will carry out an honest and measurable review of performance gains and build quality, if I am wrong I will eat my words, but I warn Accuspark if they do consider this I will be completely honest with my findings and they may not want that.
I would be far more pleased to see companies like Accuspark producing accurate replicas of the originals rather than introducing what I consider to be unnecessary new technology, obviously that is simply my opinion but I do get exasperated by when people are lead to believe they have to make these changes for reliability when that is simply not true. Rory I understand and appreciate your desire to have an off the shelf bolt on goodie which takes only a few minutes to fit and in the short term solves the problem of a worn out distributor, you are in business and commercially that makes complete sense. The point is if you had access to an off the shelf new std points DK4 for a reasonable price you would be able to fit that even more easily and gain the same advantage as well as satisfied customers. I feel for the owners who on the basis of lightly tested recommendation have jumped in, particularly with the Dynamator, and ended up with expensive damage to their engines, what makes it worse in my eyes is that almost all who did so will have had absolutely no need to in the first place. And whilst on the subject of dynamators, as seasoned users here know I often have little time for Bob Culvers writings, however he raised a very valid point recently about the unseen damage occurring from all the steel fragments now embedded in the white metal and exacerbating the demise of your crank journals. I could just keep my trap shut, I am sure some would prefer that I did, however I believe in speaking out if I believe in something, and sometimes controversial as it may be a few home truths never do any harm.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Ian,

the units I have reported on are fitted to my own cars (unless stated) and I am describing on my own personal experiences of driving with them (warts and all) - nobody is being forced to do anything so far as I can see and my reasons for trying one in the first place are not as you describe.

I have nothing to hide or gain from their failure or success - I am simply reporting things as I find them - that may differ from others but so be it.

If we are unable to use them tomorrow I will simply return to using the plethora of Lucas Units I have and lament the times I had.

All the best.
I did not say anyone is being forced to do anything, and forgive me for my assumption but I thought in an early discussion we had about these one of your considerations for using them as opposed to a rebuilt Lucas was cost, added to which you had bad experiences with Distributor Doctor's units. I have also not said that you had anything to gain other than perhaps convenience from using them, obviously they work for you, but in fairness you have the skill to notice and repair any failings which some others quite obviously do not. As I said perhaps I am a luddite, I mean no offence to you or anyone else, I am just trying to be a voice of reason so people stop and think rather than rush in and get burned.
Black Art Enthusiast