The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Ulster' Spare Wheel Cover Edge Seal?
Thanks all for your input.
(14-06-2018, 07:24 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Thanks all for your input.

The only problem is body wear from the spare wheel cover rubbing on it and I have used black or red tape or one-sided sticky black foam both on body side but which become dislodged and look fairly unsightly but do I think help to reduce the problem. Never had any water ingression into the tail (with cover in place !!!).
Thanks James. Yes it's been my experience too that the cover chatters against the body and eventually starts to make ridges in it.  I guess this depends on how tight your strap is and how good a fit the cover is among other things.

I've never suffered leakage through rain ingress as far as I recall but washing the car is another matter. In my case the cover tends to sit high, bending it doesn't work as it simply lifts again when the strap is done up.

I agree a body-side seal will not look attractive, plus will tend to dislodge when pulling things out of the 'boot' so I've more or less resolved to go back to my original solution i.e. a foam strip stuck around the edge of the lid underneath.

Once again, thanks to all.
Mine is a special, definitely not an Ulster, but the boot lid is made the same way. Edge wired up on the body and down on the lid, I just used a strip of foam on the inside of the lid. Being new to wired edges I erred on the side of caution a made the lid somewhat over size. Would be interested to see what these clips people mention on real Ulster lids look like if someone can post a picture.

I am just accepting that the corners will wear the body where they rub on mine, No idea how it will work in practice once the car is done!

Simon