The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
users and non-users browsing forum - observations
I'm not sure if there is an answer to this but I often notice that when entering the forum index area, there is always a huge number of guests, often far outweighing the named members. (this morning, 32 guests plus perhaps 12 named sign-ups). I realise some of them may be bots or whatever, but...

I did have a conversation with someone who views the forum but who, as a result of not signing up, doesn't contribute for whatever complication of signing up there is. I found that quite poignant. And I wonder if there is a way of better easing/assisting the sign up process for people who are, for whatever reason, just watching here?

There are less recognisable names posting here than on the old forum, but that could be for all sorts of reasons including people changing their old user names for something anonymous! But have others got any feedback from people who perhaps used to post and now don't, or for people who experience difficulty getting through signing up?
Hi Jon,

I have spoken to a number on this.

-Some do not like to be "seen" on-line - feel they are being monitored.

-Some took the change-over as a a chance to make a break for it.

-Some are unable to log-on consistently.

-Some are unable to navigate the 'new-look' site easily.

I have personally considered and/or experienced all of the above and have some empathy with the feelings/frustrations. However, the new format has been successful in reducing SPAM, Troll and multiple identity postings. The Photo upload is much improved and all images can be backed up. The Forum data is also backed up and can be moved to other platforms, posts can be edited by users, HTML links and videos can be inserted easily etc. etc. etc.
to counter the first one, people should note that you can easily be invisible ;-) and select not to included on that viewers list !
Can I just add sometimes I view the forum not realising I am not logged in until I see the message informing me that some content is only available to members.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I only log in if I want to write something, surely anyone browsing without logging in will show as a 'guest'? In which case perhaps they are not so sinister.

I can well understand the reluctance of some to wade into the minefield of web forums...

p.s. sorry for mixing my metaphors. Perhaps they are sea mines?
I tend to pop in and have have a quick look at the latest posts a few times a day and only log in to view pictures and links that are unavailable to guests or when I want to make a comment, I do the same with other forums and quite often forget to log out again, there is no problem with the logging in or out as it is quite simple, its just me being lazy. There will be a lot of forum members who do the same but I should imagine that quite a few of the guests are bots.
I personally see no problem with visitors, I sometimes do the same for other sites I have a mild interest in but no more.
I found no difficulty in registering despite no longer being a teenager.

A point that I would raise is that it would be useful to know geographically where people are so that if local they may possibly be invited to look at another members car that illustrates a problem they may have.
Although I have looked at my profile and it does not appear to have the facility to add the area ( south York’s), maybe I do need help from a teenager!
...or they may simply be people who have made Google searches such as 'leaking head gasket' and been directed here.

Now I'm splitting infinitives - what a morning.
(13-06-2018, 07:38 AM)JonE Wrote: I'm not sure if there is an answer to this but I often notice that when entering the forum index area, there is always a huge number of guests, often far outweighing the named members. (this morning, 32 guests plus perhaps 12 named sign-ups). I realise some of them may be bots or whatever, but...

I did have a conversation with someone who views the forum but who, as a result of not signing up, doesn't contribute for whatever complication of signing up there is. I found that quite poignant. And I wonder if there is a way of better easing/assisting the sign up process for people who are, for whatever reason, just watching here?

There are less recognisable names posting here than on the old forum, but that could be for all sorts of reasons including people changing their old user names for something anonymous! But have others got any feedback from people who perhaps used to post and now don't, or for people who experience difficulty getting through signing up?
Seems to work well to me. Smile
(13-06-2018, 08:07 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: -Some are unable to navigate the 'new-look' site easily.

The same happened on the Historic Military Vehicle Forum. A number of members were very upset with the "new-forum" and left but there was no choice because the old one was beyond being updated anymore.

Although, not being an expert, I did offer to help one HMVF active member personalise his settings etc. but he declined and now only follows a few posters and never posts about his own restorations, a great loss to the forum.