The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Head bolt leak.
When I referred to copperslip I meant the anti-sieze type grease but didn't realise that the 5990 was also
called that, if that's what you mean.
Maybe I am getting my wires crossed here, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.
Hopefully, someone may be able to clarify the situation.
Thank you
Graham.
Copper silicone gasket sealant is a Loctite product 5990 not a copper grease as in copperslip.
Graham,

Loctite 5990 Premium Silicone Copper Gasket Sealant available from many suppliers including Halfords and Simply Bearings - links below:

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p18873..._info.html
Mind you get the right one, if you buy this - I seem to remember that there are other coppery Loctites with very similar numbers that set hard and could therefore present a problem if used instead of Loctite 5990.  

Regards,
Colin
(13-06-2018, 07:35 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Mind you get the right one, if you buy this - I seem to remember that there are other coppery Loctites with very similar numbers that set hard and could therefore present a problem if used instead of Loctite 5990.  

Regards,
Colin

5990 used to be 5920. Neither sets hard.

Steve
Many thanks to you all for that, I shall pick up a tube from Halfords tomorrow just in case.
I actually used copaslip, the anti-sieze grease, which I used in copious amounts when I use to
restore old Land Rovers.
If it blows again though I will definitely give it a try.
Thanks again
Graham.
Dave, you appear to have confirmed my suspicions about the asbestos replacement used in our gaskets today, what in am curious about is why some of us have suffered problems since these gaskets appeared and others have not? The Loctite products, as well as Hylomar spray appear to be the solution but why do some people appear to suffer no incidences of water seepage such as myself and others have described, or is it simply going unnoticed?
Black Art Enthusiast
I suspect that modern gaskets are more sensitive to the perfection of the block and head surfaces.
If you don't know when the head and block were last ground, then trouble is more likely.

Dave's advice is spot on

Charles
On removing the head on my 750cc engine one stud is a different length to all the others I think it came from the front o/s corner when looking from the rad can any one tell me if that's where this stud should be fitted or as it been fitted earlier in error, or should all the studs be the same length.

Thanks rubyman
Most probably a post 1935 longer stud for the water manifold on the head.