The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Head bolt leak.
PM sent
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/fr/en/p..._5990.html
Turns out Halfords have 5990 Loctite tubes at a reasonably good price Smile
We have just fired up our engine after years laying dormant in a shed. We fitted a new head gasket after grinding the valves and now that we have run it up to temperature for the first time we have water coming up a stud. I have copper grease already so having read this I will apply a tin smear over both gasket faces and try again.
Should the copper grease be applied to the threads too? Is there any harm in applying this grease to most bolts/ studs around the car?
Hello S. Earl. It is not copper grease you want. It is Loctite 5990 Copper silicon sealer and yes it can be applied to both the gasket and stud threads. Only a thin smear of it to both sides of the gasket.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(11-06-2018, 10:17 AM)Terrytuned Wrote: When replacing head gaskets we use Loctite 5990 a silicone copper gasket sealant applied thinly to both sides works on race engines its stocked in Halfords.

This is brilliant stuff when applied as a thin coat. To save things getting messy I coated the crimped side first, fitted the gasket to block and then coated the top side of gasket. Everything needs to start very clean.
If your water seepage continues and you take the head off again this might be worth considering. You shouldn’t have any problem using the same gasket again but do remove any trace of grease.
(08-06-2022, 02:57 PM)David Stepney Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 02:48 PM)Charles Levien Wrote: Anyone with a good eye for design will see the flowing lines in the Swallow side car which naturally followed into the Swallow cars and subsequently into today’s Jaguar.
A process of organic design evolution — perhaps there’s a hint in the streamlined form of the bird that takes this name.   Or am I getting carried away here!

Not, I presume, by an African or European swallow. Big Grin

Don’t know why this post has reappeared - must have touched the wrong button!