The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Scammers back
(12-06-2018, 08:31 AM)Ian M Wrote: No. Once one listing gets reported, the entire lot will go. Then he'll line up a new batch later in the day under yet another hacked seller ID. His expectation is that the listings will be around flor long enough for interested parties to make contact via the email address(es) he provides. The vehicles are invariably listed at bargain prices so that interested parties will act quickly.

He then sent me an email stating that he was in The Orkneys, the price is £3,600, and it belonged to his late husband?? He will ship it for free after you send him the dosh. He's got 2 hopes, Bob Hope and No Hope from me.
Austin/ Ian, understand what you say (broadly at least) but is law enforcement really that far behind?
(12-06-2018, 10:48 AM)Chris KC Wrote: is law enforcement really that far behind?

When it comes to cyber scams, yes. Locating an accomplished international scammer is akin to looking for a needle in a haystack.
(12-06-2018, 08:43 AM)Chris KC Wrote: The mystery is why eBay do not involve the police?

Hi chris,

The police are toothless.

Just been trying to sort local road traffic offences.

Local council reply, nothing to do with us. Record times and take picture to the police.

DONE THAT.

Went to main station, first reply we are short staffed and to busy. 
Persisted with it, showed my evidence of what was happening. Even showed the neighbours kid close to getting run over. Second reply. We can't act on public evidence. They have to be caught by the police.

I pushed it further, third reply. Thay have to be caught by traffic police.

Sadly haven't got time to push this further with a different station that stocks traffic police?

My point being EBAY would only get the same reply.

To busy, and no point in providing there own evidence?

Tony
I'm thinking it's time for a career change!
Involving the police is a complex matter in terms of international cyber crime. For starters, if the criminal is operating from 'somewhere' in the entire world, or perhaps even on the move the entire time, which police force should take on the task of pursuing him?

One thing I've picked up as a result of witnessing numerous discussions about this on several forums is that the scammer is not actually committing a crime by placing these listings on eBay. The crime only starts when someone pays money to him and does not receive goods in return. Now, if you read eBay's rules, these clearly state that you must not conduct business outside of eBay in respect of any goods you've seen listed, due to the high risk of crime. So, if a buyer ignores the rules and loses money as a result, is it really eBay's fault?
I'd like to believe that in this day and age police forces are capable of co-operating with each other. However much of the world operates effectively outside the rule of law (increasingly the UK too, it seems).

I am hopeful however that the days of US-based web corporations washing their hands of these issues are slowly coming to an end.
New scam entry on ebay today 

Austin 7 Seven Short Wheel Base Vintage Racing Car, VSCC, 1929
Beware. I have reported this to ebay.
(17-06-2018, 11:44 AM)Biddlecombe Wrote: New scam entry on ebay today 

Austin 7 Seven Short Wheel Base Vintage Racing Car, VSCC, 1929
Beware. I have reported this to ebay.

One of 641 boats and classic cars that this s**t has on offer at ridiculously low starting prices - and some of them have bids!
(12-06-2018, 02:21 PM)Ian M Wrote: Involving the police is a complex matter in terms of international cyber crime. For starters, if the criminal is operating from 'somewhere' in the entire world, or perhaps even on the move the entire time, which police force should take on the task of pursuing him?

One thing I've picked up as a result of witnessing numerous discussions about this on several forums is that the scammer is not actually committing a crime by placing these listings on eBay. The crime only starts when someone pays money to him and does not receive goods in return. Now, if you read eBay's rules, these clearly state that you must not conduct business outside of eBay in respect of any goods you've seen listed, due to the high risk of crime. So, if a buyer ignores the rules and loses money as a result, is it really eBay's fault?

Doesn't this sort of eBay listing fall under 'false advertising' - surely there is some law against this ?