The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel & Brake studs
As far as Rubys are concerned - the Chassis listing in the R J Wyatt book says:  First Full Girling rear brakes (heavy axle) at 286571 in July 38.  Also, road wheels modified - dowels removed - at 287828, also July 38.  (Van wheels, though, from 268733.)

This means there are a few cars with full girling rear brakes and dowelled wheels - mine at 287777 is one of them.  Whilst the rear wheel bearings are larger, the ones in the enlarged front hubs are the same as before on this car.  As suggested above, I have previously taken standard semi-girling cast iron drums and opened out the centre hole slightly on a lathe so that they fit the larger hub diameter, everything else being the same.

Colin
just re drill 3 more plain holes in the wheels and you'd be good to go
(30-08-2018, 02:33 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: just re drill 3 more plain holes in the wheels and you'd be good to go

Not that simple. Firstly the holes have to be in exactly the right place, secondly the correct size, thirdly countersunk.
If not the thread at the stud base is going to get chewed up as the wheel moves because there is nothing to stop it.

To stop this the holes need to be c'sunk and proper conical wheel nuts used. If the holes are not in the proper place the seating of the nuts will not function properly either.

This is a safety issue.

Paul N-M
None of which are remotley difficult to do.

By plain holes I meant without the keyhole
Thumbs Up 
(31-08-2018, 12:19 PM)Hedd Jones Wrote: None of which are remotley difficult to do.

By plain holes I meant without the keyhole

OK
This topic seems to have drifted into how to drill wheels to accept dowelled drums. If the dowels are taking weight the wheel is destined to come off anyway. Nevertheless should be a close and accurate fit. Even with access to a drilling machine large enough to accommodate the wheel it is difficult to drill large (or any) holes to great accuracy. Precise setting out is itself difficult. A scrap hub can be machined as a guide. Otherwise resort to a single point tool probably necessary. Or finally finish by careful filing