The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: Do you give your car(s) per names?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
55.56%
30 55.56%
No
44.44%
24 44.44%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naming cars -poll
(10-06-2018, 09:27 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: Interesting that almost all posts on this thread have come from the yes camp yet 55% of respondents have been no's..........

I would rather boil my head in 20/50 than name my car Gertie, Ermintrude or similar.

There you go Ian. Balance. 

Charles
(10-06-2018, 09:27 AM)Ian Williams Wrote: Interesting that almost all posts on this thread have come from the yes camp yet 55% of respondents have been no's..........

My RN has Herbie painted on the side of the scuttle, I have never ever referred to it by that name. Just as the "RN".

The Opal has no name and is referred to as the "Tourer".

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
My Chummy was christened "Jumbo" by the original lady owner as the car is Elephant grey.
Today it is still referred to as "Jumbo"
Bit of quirky british motoring fun - why not ?
Ditto... the "restorer" of my '29 was Samuel and it was thus named Sammy by his sons.
My kids have added lemonhead (as it's yellow).... so Sammy Lemonhead it is.
The Nippy was named Zebedee in the 1960s; Magic Roundabout was probably standard student fare?
I've balanced it at 50/50. Mildred will be pleased with me...
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(10-06-2018, 08:18 PM)Andy Bennett Wrote: I've balanced it at 50/50. Mildred will be pleased with me...

The name 'Twee' springs to mind  Smile Smile
Martin your Basil has reminded me the Ruby I own came to me with the undeserved  name "fawlty". So there's another NO.  Ian it's convalescing having had a rear end shunt a couple of weeks back.  cheers  Russell
A decisive yes from this pleb! (& most of my cars are girls excepting those who ooze masculinity)
The Chummy was named Happy as a result of the smiles she raises (& coincidentally a 7 year old who crashed HER many years back went on to have a business called Happy Motors)
The C-cab was already called Myrtle on purchase (& having been facetiously nicknamed "The Turtle" by the last owner's children has since had a brass turtle radiator cap ornament added)
The Cambridge inspired Special is rather manly in aesthetics so Dougal (in honour of his creator Doug)
The A35 is Betty the flying ant - she's Speedwell blue - & Betty Blue the movie was rather steamy
The original Fiat 500 is Lilli (being pink & after the song Lilly the Pink - most efficacious!)
The Goggomobil already had the personalised plate "Agoggo" so Aggie
Suzuki Samurai 4WD with a number plate JYL..... just had to be Jack!
The modern is but "The Modern" reflecting emotional investment
Paul
On the first day God created the Austin 7, then he rested
(09-06-2018, 08:17 AM)Greig Smith Wrote: Well yes and no, the Chummy is naturally called 'Jane' and the Top Hat is called 'Lady Clatterly' as befits the cacophony of noise in a closed car. The '30 Triumph Super 7 is called 'Ethelred the Unsteady'..... Long story there.....

One of the '57 Alfa Sprints is called Stinky and another is Grumpy. The rest of the collection have no names, mostly referred to by paint colors or model type... The 2 race cars are currently referred to as The Blue Job and the Green Job... I suppose I should get more creative...

Aye
Greig

My Opal is Mavis — not a name I chose but one given it by an early owner, a lady living in Poole who did some excursions into France with it in the fifties. So I keep the name going in the absence of any good reason for dropping it. Funny thing about names is that we tend to grow into them and I cannot conceive of the Opal now with any other name.

Charles
(09-06-2018, 02:03 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: I don't name my cars - but others do...So I guess it's a yes vote.

My late, ex-mother-in-law, always referred to the Ruby as 'Miss Marple'. And Debs has decided that the RP shall be known as 'Wendolene' - referenced to my habit of putting a small figurine of a Wallace & Gromit character somewhere in the cars and having had a spare Wendolene lying around - who is now peering out of the appropriately well-cleaned windscreen.

A further distinction — between those who write a name on their car as opposed to just giving it a name. What thoughts?

Charles