The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: Do you give your car(s) per names?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
55.56%
30 55.56%
No
44.44%
24 44.44%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naming cars -poll
(09-06-2018, 12:46 PM)John Mason Wrote: When I first bought my Ruby my wife referred to it rather derogortary as the Tin Box. She has warmed to it now but still calls it the Tin Box.

John Mason

When I deposited all the rusty parts of my newly acquired RP in my Mother’s garage she said “ What’s that contraption” doing in my garage?
It’s not a name I think I will use!
My Fathers Austin 7 was called “Wayfarer”.

Roger
Piglet is very sad! He thinks all cars should have a name. Cool
I bought 2 real wrecks, A big 7 sixlight which had been turned into a keystone cops car and a ruby kept in a shed until it collapsed around it,they were nicknamed Relly relic and Uriah heap by my other half.
Hi All,
My Dad had a Top Hat in the early sixties called Chitter Chitter Wizz Bang. ( Noisy axle and hole in the exhaust, Dads party piece was coasting down hill ignition off open throttle then switching back on to load backfires )
In the 1970s there was the Black Magic Box.
The Type 65 has been named Noddy ( not by me though )
I am sure there were other cars with names in the family,
Whether you name your car or not does not matter, just enjoy it for what it is.
All of our cars have names. The A30 is Mabel, A35 is Basil, A40 came to us as Nellie (and has been since at least the 60s), our '33 RP is called Gumdrop (totally unrelated to the 12 of the same name!) and our PD is called Dandruff. All names that have just developed over time. I suppose we see them as cars with personalities and characters, so the names naturally follow. All used regularly over many years. Maybe that's the key?
No & Yes.
No: The Chummy and the Cup.
Yes: Skanky (the Trials Chummy) and Hilda (the RP).
My dad also had a box saloon in the late 50s called Boanerges... I think I could be persuaded to give that name to the Speedex.
Interesting that almost all posts on this thread have come from the yes camp yet 55% of respondents have been no's..........
Black Art Enthusiast
I have never given a name to my ‘conventional road cars’ I have just called them by their model name. However I have given names to the Austin 7 and my sports cars except the Ginetta as that name seemed to suit her. That’s another issue, how does one determine a cars sex!
Cheers Roger
Have given names to my Austin’s
chummy - Smokey ( as it had that much blow by when I got her)
And the ruby is called Rubina
Other cothers just called by there model.