The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Poll: Do you give your car(s) per names?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
55.56%
30 55.56%
No
44.44%
24 44.44%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naming cars -poll
It might be my grumpy side but I seem to be noticing more people using pet names, frequently female, for their cars. This is something's that I'd never do but am I in the minority?
So I'm attempting to use the "Polling" function. 
The question is
Do you give your car(s) "Pet" names?
(08-06-2018, 10:42 PM)Charles P Wrote: It might be my grumpy side but I seem to be noticing more people using pet names, frequently female, for their cars. This is something's that I'd never do but am I in the minority?
The question is

Well- yes and no - The Chummy, The Latrobe Sports, The Saloon  Smile 

Cheers, Tony.
(08-06-2018, 11:27 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 10:42 PM)Charles P Wrote: It might be my grumpy side but I seem to be noticing more people using pet names, frequently female, for their cars. This is something's that I'd never do but am I in the minority?
The question is

Cheers, Tony.

Thats a No in the spirit of the poll, as you probably guessed Tony.
Bit of a quid each way here Charles.
In the past I have always used the manufacturers name or body style  e.g. ruby, roadster, chummy etc. Recently we have purchased a Top Hat which came with the name ' Primrose ' and it has stuck.
In Australia the registered number is not part of the identity as it is cancelled when you stop paying, thus we have not developed the tradition of calling cars after their reg numbers as in Britain.  cheers  Russell
The question is

Depends on the vehicle, My chummy came with the name "Min" which it has had for the past 60 years. All other vehicles I have just called them by what they are.
(08-06-2018, 11:28 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(08-06-2018, 11:27 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
The question is

Cheers, Tony.

Thats a No in the spirit of the poll, as you probably guessed Tony.
Smile Smile Smile
Yes yes yes, of course. And not just my cars old and "new", but everything that moves  Look even my forklift has a name.  I move, so I even have a nickname too!
Cheers
Peter

Yes yes yes. All my cars, old and "new".  Any thing that moves gets a name.   Look, even my forklift has one.  I move, so I too, have a nickname!
Cheers
Peter
No never
Black Art Enthusiast
Yes and no! Many of my previous cars have had, or been given, names, but for some reason neither of my present 'old' cars have been christened, even though the previous owner called the Seven Bertie.

Perhaps one of the reasons for my giving cars names is that I have often had similar cars at the same time, so for example when I was running three (yes, really!) Triumph Herald coupes at the same time, they were known as Patrick (reg no TAP), Dudley (DU) and Paddy (ZW - an Irish number).  My Sevens have included Cherry B, Emerald, and Bluebottle (1 & 2), all named after their paint colours. Just about all my 'daily drivers' have been given names, too: Dolly the Dolomite (1, 2 & 3), Percy (reg no PRR), Simon the Simca, Huwbert (reg no HWB), etc.

Interestingly, most of them have been male or non-gender specific, rather than the traditional female - I wonder whether that says something about me!
Well yes and no, the Chummy is naturally called 'Jane' and the Top Hat is called 'Lady Clatterly' as befits the cacophony of noise in a closed car. The '30 Triumph Super 7 is called 'Ethelred the Unsteady'..... Long story there.....

One of the '57 Alfa Sprints is called Stinky and another is Grumpy. The rest of the collection have no names, mostly referred to by paint colors or model type... The 2 race cars are currently referred to as The Blue Job and the Green Job... I suppose I should get more creative...

Aye
Greig