The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now VL 4193
perhaps a bit of gentle wire wool to stablise the rust blisters on those rear wings and then perhaps use Ankor Wax for a bit to protect the entire surface with the tarnished patches between the bright black. It might look wonderful - or it might look contrived.

But you could equally well use Ankor Was over it as is...

As Ian said, you can't go back! Be very, very careful and go and have a look at some shiny cars first. (I tend to walk past them).

Concentrate on getting paint off rubbers and other things it shouldn't be on first - that will freshen it considerably.
Those carpets are fabulous, I would be doing everything I could to conserve them and the rest of the trim for that matter. Personally I feel that examples like this should be recorded accurately, they are an invaluable resource for restorers who no longer have original carpets to copy.
Black Art Enthusiast
(06-07-2018, 09:51 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Those carpets are fabulous, I would be doing everything I could to conserve them and the rest of the trim for that matter. Personally I feel that examples like this should be recorded accurately, they are an invaluable resource for restorers who no longer have original carpets to copy.

Being gently cleaned right now.  Angel Angel Angel
(06-07-2018, 10:00 PM)Biddlecombe Wrote:
(06-07-2018, 09:51 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Those carpets are fabulous, I would be doing everything I could to conserve them and the rest of the trim for that matter. Personally I feel that examples like this should be recorded accurately, they are an invaluable resource for restorers who no longer have original carpets to copy.

Being gently cleaned right now.  Angel Angel Angel

Hi,
Would it not be Prudent to have a Cheap set of carpets made to the same pattern and only fit the originals on special occasions , This would stop any wear and tear during remedial work
(06-07-2018, 12:36 AM)Biddlecombe Wrote: This car came with 4 new Avon tyres and a previously used spare. All tyre sizes are 4.00 x 19 The new 4 road tyres are also marked m/c after the size. My limited research shows the original spec as Open models 3.50 x 19 and closed models a W M 3 - 19 rim. This newbie is confused. Is the car outside of specs at shows etc if tyre sizes are wrong? Is it OK to run what may appear to be motorcycle tyres?
Help!!!

Can anyone confirm that these 4.00 x 19 Avon tyres are OK or am I going to find difficulties please?
The correct size is 3.50 x 19 but you'll have no issues with the 4.00 x 19 size.

Steve
(07-07-2018, 11:22 AM):Steve Jones Wrote: The correct size is 3.50 x 19 but you'll have no issues with the 4.00 x 19 size.

Steve

Big Grin

The carpets are obviously very old, and worthy of careful conservation. They will certainly be essential to maintain the character of the car. However, I am not convinced they are 'original' or even of Austin supply, so would be wary of using them as examples of originality to copy without further evidence or research. Witness the numerous occasions where inaccurate information in books etc is perpetuated and becomes accepted as fact.
Quote:I am not convinced they are 'original' or even of Austin supply

I was wondering about that that too. Many Austin Sevens had moulded rubber mats.
David Mann is the A7 RN expert, details on the Pre-Austin 7 webb site.