The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now VL 4193
Further to what Jon has said, I would take the tank off and give it a good clean with paraffin and shake it about with loose nuts, count the number you put in, you want the same number out ! A glass filter like those fitted to old Landrovers, between the tank and the car is probably essential as there's likely to be quite a lot of Cr** in the tank due to the car's age and obvious lack of use. Paper filters will definitely impede a gravity fuel system and you'll lose pressure having the side draught as opposed to updraught car.

All time-consuming stuff but worth it. Some drivers fit an electric SU fuel pump but as long as you keep a full tank you'll be okay.
hmmm. Is this the correct proportion for a two colour car? i.e. considering the Opal blue/black top equivalent??
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1011623

Those pictures of yours seem to have colour on the sunroof area and also on the top of the bonnet hinge, so I think you need to wait until you see the early logbooks or else have a delve in the door jamb areas to see what could be BELOW the greenish blue. It doesn't seem that that is original either.
(06-07-2018, 12:02 PM)James Anderson Wrote: Further to what Jon has said, I would take the tank off and give it a good clean with paraffin and shake it about with loose nuts, count the number you put in, you want the same number out ! A glass filter like those fitted to old Landrovers, between the tank and the car is probably essential as there's likely to be quite a lot of Cr** in the tank due to the car's age and obvious lack of use. Paper filters will definitely impede a gravity fuel system and you'll lose pressure having the side draught as opposed to updraught car.

All time-consuming stuff but worth it. Some drivers fit an electric SU fuel pump but as long as you keep a full tank you'll be okay.

I think you've got 2 options on how to proceed. Firstly, I'd be doing some serious reading regarding the running, maintenance and mechanical restoration of Austin 7s especially with regard to your particular model of car and also join a local club. The Austin Seven Companion by the 750 Motor club is indispensable and there are some excellent websites I think Cornwall A7 Club's Technical pages take some beating. There is fantastic support through our 'Cherished Suppliers' and as you've experienced through the Forum but I appreciate all this will take time and no doubt you're raring to get out and about. 

Hence, secondly, I think a better option is to get my friend Steve Hodgson who restores Austin 7s professionally to help and maybe get the car going safely and satisfactorily while you mull over where you want to go with the car in more ways than one! Steve H is local to me and you could trailer your car over to him and it would certainly be reassuring for someone like him to give it the once over anyway or you'll be fumbling about in the relative dark, finding out things the hard way. He's in East Preston just the other side of Worthing phone number 07870 731074 (SMS Services)

Just lifted the mancky oily carpets off of the tunnel. I am happy that they could go back, but shall I clean, remove oil and grease? Shampoo or carpet cleaner or what have you? Any ideas gratefully received.
just go gently and watch that colour flood back.. but you might want to check for carpet moth first and perhaps make sure any infestation is dead.. there look some suspicious patches there.
I tend to use the suds off the top of what ever concoction you use, with an old toothbrush, just so you keep things as dry as possible...you may want to let it dry off and go over again.

Ideal for in front of the football match.
(06-07-2018, 07:36 PM)JonE Wrote: just go gently and watch that colour flood back.. but you might want to check for carpet moth first and perhaps make sure any infestation is dead.. there look some suspicious patches there.
I tend to use the suds off the top of what ever concoction you use, with an old toothbrush, just so you keep things as dry as possible...you may want to let it dry off and go over again.

Ideal for in front of the football match.
Cool
If it was me I would leave the body as it is, my RN hasn't been washed for 10 years.
(06-07-2018, 08:22 PM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: If it was me I would leave the body as it is, my RN hasn't been washed for 10 years.

Lots of pitting on the wheel arches Nigel. A small test area brings the black up real shiny. There are also several corners where people have continuously put their hand on and whilst it is all patina, well I will think long and hard about it. Thanks for your input. Peter.  Confused
Pitting ? ,I have Airtex wings and they are staying like it.
(06-07-2018, 09:17 PM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: Pitting ? ,I have Airtex wings and they are staying like it.
Confused Confused Confused Undecided Undecided Undecided