The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cup in a Box - resurrected from the old Forum...
(12-06-2018, 07:41 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Yes, this is simply a casting of the remains of an original from this car Ian:  https://gordonenglandregister.wordpress....umber-512/

I am inlined to the think that the kink is intentional but struggling to know why...

My car has painted steel hinges, I can't find any pictures but they are quite deep with two rows of screw holes. They are screwed into the plywood.
They needed to be bent apart to provide clearence for the piping which seals the boot lid face. I assume that is why the cast ones have a kink. They do need to be pretty strong as the boot lid is fairly heavy once the spare wheel is mounted.
Ruairidh, if I were in your situation I would fabricate new hinges to match the originals based on the casting you have.  Sometimes it is more expedient to just make as exact a copy of an original item than spend a lot of valuable time searching for one.

Excellent work on the car.

Cheers,
Stephen
Thanks again Ian and Steve.

Tom Coates has sent me these excellent photos from the Fred Dash car - the clearly show the kink and I think I know why it is there...

Thank you Tom, really useful!

.jpg   Cup Hinges close up.jpg (Size: 127.79 KB / Downloads: 514)
Several people have also told me that the hinges were most likely painted - not plated.

Thank you all.
One small part, one giant leap towards completion!

With thanks to Andrew Goodfellow who made what is possibly the most complex body panel fitted to an A7 for me - delighted!

[attachment=3500]

Next step, covering.
Hi Ruairidh,

Very, very jealous!

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
I think Andrew was expecting you to speak to him about making one for you and your friend, at Guildtown??

More of it in place...

Lovely work. Have you decided what you are going to use as a covering?

The boot lid is tough to cover as there is a large radius on the top, straight side and small radius on the bottom. You need to be able to hide the fabric as you take it up out of the small radius corner.

Peter
Thank you Peter - I will reveal the finish once complete.
(12-08-2018, 08:23 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Thank you Peter - I will reveal the finish once complete.

As you know, Ruairidh, Peter, above, is rather good at this fabric covering lark so, no pressure there then  Wink

Steve